GES Staff Update-Week of 3/21/16
Be Awesome for Kids!
GES celebrates the "Luck of the Irish"
Monday, 3/21 through Thursday 3/24 the GES Sunshine Committee would like to celebrate how lucky we are to work at GES! On Monday, March 21, you will find two shamrocks in your mailbox. Each shamrock says "I am lucky to work with _______ because ...." Think of someone you are lucky to work with every day at GES, write them a quick note, and place the lucky shamrock in their mailbox before the end of the week. To wrap up the short week, the Sunshine Committee will share a few little "lucky" treats in the lounge on Thursday, March 24.
World Down Syndrome Day
- Please take a few minutes this week to review iPad Trust Card expectations and safe searching sites with your students. Digital Citizenship expectations should be reiterated prior to giving students assignments that include searching for images. We are in need of some reminders about how students are allowed to safely search for images online. Students are NOT allowed to search Google images or to use the image search feature on Pic Collage. Please note that these sites don't filter the images or the search topics that pop up in the search box! Both can allow students to view and/or read inappropriate content.
- Check out the most recent technology blog: Tips and Settings When Using YouTube in the Classroom- http://gcisdleadwithtechnology.blogspot.com/2016/03/gcisd-youtube-settings.html
- On Tuesday, 3/22, we will take our STAFF picture on the stage steps at 7:20AM
- Betsy Marsh has secured a spot at an upcoming BRIT meeting for an interested GES teacher. This month's Teacher Tuesday will be held on March 22nd from 5:30-7:30pm. The topic will be Pollinator Math! See the flyer below for details. Please contact Liz if you are interested in attending this special training opportunity!
- It's hard to believe that we are staring our final nine weeks of the 15-16 school year! Before you know it, we will be having our end of year summative conferences with each staff member. If you would like to make a grade level change, have other interests you want to pursue, or are planning to retire, please talk with Liz sometime in the coming weeks!
- Our March 1:1 PLCs will be on 3/24. All Instructional Paraprofessionals will have a required 1:1 training on March 24th @ 3:00pm. Please bring your iPads! Teams should be sure to complete the agenda doc by 3/22 (Nancy sent email on 3/10) so Amy Phillips can be prepared:
Upcoming Learning Days
Thursday, April 7th - 3rd grade
Monday, April 11th - 5th grade
Tuesday, April 12th - 4th grade
Wednesday, April 13th - 2nd grade
Thursday, April 14th - 1st grade
- Monday, April 18th - Kindergarten
Lunch Line Changes
Thank you for your work as we adjust to one serving line in our cafeteria. The nutrition department appreciates our cooperation and work through some obstacles. Don't forget that we will need a teacher to walk students to the serving line door and remain there to monitor students. Please remind students to make their line against the wall towards Nino's trash/tray cleaning station. The teacher assigned to the door should remind students of their lunch options, and snack choices, to speed up the process of going through the line. Another key point the nutrition department gave us to keep the lines moving quickly is students knowing their PIN numbers. A newsletter reminder may help so parents can work on this with their children. Thanks for your help! We will continue to monitor the speed and processes to adjust as needed.
- The communications department will provide important information on the 2016 Bond on Tuesday, 4/12, at 3:10pm. This is a meeting for all GES faculty. Please mark your calendar and plan to attend! Team leaders, we will have a virtual meeting instead of a face-to-face meeting.
- Summative Conferences with Kim & Liz will be held Wednesday, 4/27 through Thursday, 5/3 Please note that 5/3 is a grade level PLC day and will only be available for paras . Teacher Self Reports 2 & 3 due in Eduphoria Monday, 4/11 and PLPs will need to be updated prior to your conference. Please use the following link to sign up for a time slot on our Google doc: https://docs.google.com/a/gcisd.net/spreadsheets/d/1G-jbJFG4DSFNn2mExV1bbc4ZmaA_yUXZHQS-pM3lB0k/edit?usp=sharing
Sunday, 3/20- Saturday, 3/26 Fundraiser at Five Below in Euless (mention GES and 10% of purchases will benefit our school.)
Monday, 3/21 Monday Morning Math Lab (7:15-7:40am); Ensemble practice (2:45-3:45pm); WOW Garden Club (2:45-4:00pm)
Monday, 3/21 Deadline to enter grades for report cards (10:00 pm)
Tuesday, 3/22 STAFF picture at 7:20AM; Class picture day; STAAR prep meetings for 4th & 5th(conference times); Team Leader meeting (@3:10pm in Learning Commons)
Wednesday, 3/23 Report Cards are posted; NO Running Club today!!
Wednesday, 3/23 STAAR Accommodations training (3:10 Learning Commons)
Thursday, 3/24 1:1 PLCs; Ensemble practice (2:45-3:45pm)
Friday, 3/25 Bad Weather Make up day-NO SCHOOL
Monday, 3/28 Monday Morning Math Lab (7:15-7:40am)
Tuesday, 3/29 STAAR testing for 4th & 5th grades-closed campus; CEC at 3:10
Wednesday, 3/30 STAAR testing for 5th grade-closed campus; Running Club (2:45-3:30pm)
Thursday, 3/31 Writer's Workshop meeting (3:30-4:30pm) location TBA
Monday, 4/4 Monday Morning Math Lab (7:15-7:40am); Ensemble practice (2:45-3:45pm); WOW Garden Club (2:45-4:00pm)
Tuesday, 4/5 RtI meetings; Faculty meeting & Vocabulary Training (3:10 in the Learning Commons)
Wednesday, 4/6 RtI meetings; Running Club (2:45-3:30pm); Sunshine Committee Mtng.
Thursday, 4/7 Ensemble practice (2:45-3:45pm)
Friday, 4/8 Junior Achievement in a Day (K-5)-schedule of presenters coming soon!
Monday, 4/11 Teacher Self Reports 2 & 3 due in Eduphoria; Monday Morning Math Lab (7:15-7:40am); Ensemble practice (2:45-3:45pm)
Tuesday, 4/12 Faculty meeting* This is a required meeting for us to hear about the BOND election!
Tuesday, 4/12 Spring Creek Night for GES! (5:00-8:00pm)
Wednesday, 4/13 Running Club, KC Club, Student Council (2:45-3:30pm); NEHS (2:45-3:45pm)
Thursday, 4/14 Ensemble practice (2:45-3:45pm)
Saturday, 4/16 Rachel's Challenge Rally (8:00am-noon)
Monday, 4/18 Monday Morning Math Lab (7:15-7:40am); Ensemble practice (2:45-3:45pm); WOW Garden Club (2:45-4:00pm)
Tuesday, 4/19 Learning Teams/Afternoon PLCs (3:10pm)
Wednesday, 4/20 Running Club (2:45-3:30pm)
Thursday, 4/21 Ensemble practice (2:45-3:45pm); PTA meeting/Diversity Night (6:30pm)
Monday, 4/25 Monday Morning Math Lab (7:15-7:40am); Ensemble practice (2:45-3:45pm)
Monday, 4/25-Friday, 4/29 Kindergarten Registration
Monday, 4/25- Tuesday, May 3 Tarrant County Elections voting in the GES Gym
Tuesday, 4/26 Teacher & Para of the Year Celebration
Wednesday, 4/27-Thursday, 5/3 Summative conferences with Kim & Liz
Wednesday, 4/27 Running Club (2:45-3:30pm)
Thursday, 4/28 Ensemble practice (2:45-3:45pm); Kindergarten Rally (5:00-7:30pm)
Where We Will Be...
- Monday, 3/21 - Nancy out 8-12noon; Liz at BCES (10-11am); Liz out (1:30-3pm)
- Tuesday, 3/22 - Class picture day (Liz); Nancy at In-Tech training (8-12noon)
- Thursday, 3/24 - Angela at Counseling PLC
Monday Message to Parents
Disclaimer: It will be a work in progress until late Sunday night!!
Information from Dr. Newell
Summer Humanities Learning
PTA Capital Improvement Grants
You should have received a paper form in your box and one is attached to this email if you need another. Submissions are due by Monday, April 4, 2016!
GES YEARBOOK NEEDS YOUR PICTURES!
World Of Wonder Learning Opportunities
Pollinator Math Training
Bond 2016 Talking Points
- Lesson plans, or links to your plans, should be saved to our Google drive folder in the GES Faculty and Staff folder:http://bit.ly/1LqQ4sg
- Newsletters, or links to newsletters, should be saved to the Google drive folder in GES Faculty and Staff: http://bit.ly/1MAJbWP