Digital Tools for Social Studies
Let's give it try!
- Open quizlet.
- Click on Important Figures of Early US.
- Check out the different study tools.
To use QUIZLET.LIVE.
- Open Quizlet.
- Open the Quizlet you want to use.
- Click on the Live button.
- Choose the combination you desire.
- Click Create Game.
- Once students are in, start the game.
- Open quizlet.live.
- Type in the code the teacher has given you.
- Type in your name.
- Quizlet Live will assign teams. Find teammates and get together.
- Wait for instructor to begin the game.
Flipgrid is a video response tool that is used to create discussions among all students within your classroom. Teachers post a topic or question via text or video and the students respond to the prompt. Flipgrid also gives students the ability to comment on their classmates' responses.
- All of your videos are located in one location.
- You can Freeze a Topic to continue sharing the videos but prevent new recordings.
- Student comments can be turned on or off.
Flipgrid Tutorials/Blog Posts:
- Tony Vincent's Review of Flipgrid - with helpful tips
- Flipgrid Unplugged #2: AppSmashing with Jornea Erwin
- Using @Flipgrid in Online #APCalculus to Allow Students to Verbalize Their Thinking Process
Quizizz is a student-paced, online formative assessment tool that allows the students to answer multiple choice questions on their device.
Take a look at some favorite Quizizz features:
- Easily create a quiz by using questions from multiple public quizzes
- Highlight keywords with red, green or blue text
- Make your own Memes
- Choose a background
- Type your instructions in the text area and zoom
- Choose a work symbol
- Set a timer
- Show the clock & calendar
- Use the traffic light
- Pick a random name
- Use the calculator
- Draw in-screen or full-screen
- Generate a QR-code
- Drag and drop the icons in the right place
- Select a language
COLLABORATING WITH GOOGLE SLIDES
Google Slides is an easy way to collect information from your students in a collaborative format. Once you have created the presentation, give the students access to the slides. The scribe for the group will go to the slide that matches their group number. The group discusses the question you have posted and the scribe fills out the slide for their group. This can also be used with individual students.
Kasey Bell (Shake Up Learning) has created a free Google Slides Cheat Sheet that can be very helpful when you are working with Google Slides.
Slides Carnival has a large selection of free Google Slides backgrounds.
Google Tips and Tricks
Some interactive websites require Flash Player, which will not work on iPads unless you have an app that reads Flash.
Remembering Pearl Harbor
Interactive Internet Resources for Social Studies
Smithsonian National Museum of National History Virtual Tour
US Capitol Virtual Tour
Library of Congress - Jump Back in Time
Tour Ellis Island
Interactive Sites for Education
iCivics (includes interactive activities and downloaded worksheets)
Social Studies: Middle School Games
6 Powerful Interactive History Sites
The American Revolution
Civil War 150
Freedom: A History of US
Growth of a Nation
This Amazing America - displays the population distribution of every person in America
Interactive Constitution by the National Constitution Center
Click here to access the Interactive Websites LiveBinder that includes all subject areas.
Photos For Class - Photos are automatically cited when they are downloaded
English Tools - 25 tools for learning English. Designed for English teachers and learners
Teaching with Documents (lessons plans and activities from the National Archives)
Go Social Studies Go
21 Top Websites for Social Studies Teachers
History Engine - a growing list of articles and episodes
Free Teacher Resources by Discovery Education (click on your grade level & content area)
Teaching History by National History Education Clearinghouse
Resources for Teaching Social Studies
Historical Dictionary by History Today
Best of History Websites
Best free K-12 iPads Apps - free k-12 iPads apps to use in your classroom
Data USA - Search, Map, Compare and Download U.S. Data