World Heart Day
The Day That Could Save Your Life
What is World Heart Day?
World Heart Day (on September 29) is a day to raise awareness to one of the leading causes of death- heart disease. You may think "Well, that's not going to happen to me. I'm perfectly safe." Not true. Every year about 17 million people die of heart diseases around the world. Yes, the world is a big place. But it means about one in one hundred seventy-five people are affected. (One in three women are) And the numbers are rising. By 2030, scientists estimate that 23 million people will die. That means that one in about every thirty people will die. THAT'S IN OUR LIFETIME! We are on a DEADline, people! Learn how to help protect yourself below.
- Two hours thirty minutes of moderate exerscise or one hour of heavy exersise per week decreaces your risk of heart disease by 30%.
- Eat healthily! Foods with lots of nuitreints is key! Try avoiding high-sodium foods, as it can strain your heart (hence, heart disease.) Trans fat is also a food that can increase the risk of a stroke.
- Do little things like take the stairs! Play outside! Take up sports! Maybe even going to a local gym could save your life.
- Try swapping foods- for instance, instead of chocolate all the time, try mangos or a fruit smoothee.
- Go to the website on heart disease for more ways to protect yourself. The address is
http://www.world-heart-federation.org/what-we-do/awareness/world-heart-day/about-world-heart-day/ . Or try googling World Heart Day. World Heart Federation should pop up, an you can read more about the day.
- Smoke. 600,000 non-smokers are killed from second-hand smoke. Smoking also REALLY makes you more likely for a heart disease. Besides making you feel "good", what does smoking help with? In 15 years (if you stop smoking today), you will have as much risk as someone who has never smoked. Start now!
- Be inactive. Exercise is one of the best ways to keep yourself safe. How many diseases can be prevented by it? Being inactive is a quick way to be in between a rock and a hard place. The only time it's too late to start is- well, never! Even if you have heart disease, exercise will help!
- Eat lots of junk food. Is there really any excuse for eating like that? Try lots of new foods and encourage others to do so as well.
- Ignore this poster! People ignoring the warnings I'm giving CAN- and probably will- be a part of those millions. Save yourself and the people you love from one of the most cruel, HEARTless killers in the world.