- Geothermal energy is found inside the Earth
- Geothermal energy produces less than 10% of Earths energy
- Hot springs, geysers and volcanoes are examples of places to get geothermal energy
Uses for Geothermal Energy
- Geothermal energy can heat homes, generate electricity and be used to help plants grow in greenhouses
- The gases produced are not harmful to the enviroment
Pros of Geothermal Energy
- Renewable Energy
- Very little amount of harmful gases
- It's better than solar, wind and tidal wave energy because it can be used any time of the day.
- The cost is way lower compared to other energy sources: 0.05$ per KW an hour. For Coal: 0.07-0.10$ per KW an hour.
Cons of Geothermal Energy
- Geothermal plants need lots of water. It varies from 1,700 to 4,000 gallons per megawatt hour.
- It's hard to find a reliable site for Geothermal energy.
- Geothermal only produces 0.0114 terawatts. Global energy use is 15 terawatts. Scientists say that by the year 2050 it will be ten times the amount. But even if it was multiplied by ten, it would only be 1% of the 15 terawatts.