Micro Elementary Parent Newsletter
March 3rd, 2020
Message from Principal Parrish
Greetings from the Web,
It is hard to believe that it is already March! There are only three months left in this school year. It is time to buckle down and finish strong! Consistent attendance, reading daily, and practicing math facts are great habits to begin. I also recommend communicating with your child's teachers to learn more specific ways to finish the school year in strong fashion.
Thank you for everything that you do to support our school,
Micro Elementary News
- Johnston County Public Schools has determined the make up plan for the missed school day on Feb. 21, 2020, due to winter weather. Our school calendar will now reflect a full school day on Tuesday, March 17, 2020, replacing the workday. Monday, March 16, 2020, will remain a teacher workday-no school for students.
- We are celebrating Read Across America Week March 2nd-6th! Your child can participate in the following spirit days:
Monday, March 2nd - Read My Shirt Day - Wear a shirt with words
Tuesday, March 3rd - Reading the Rainbow- Wear as many colors as possible
Wednesday, March 4th - Hats Off to Reading! - Wear a hat to school
Thursday, March 5th - Read Inside and Out! - Wear clothes inside out
Friday, March 6th - Read Across America! - Wear Red, White and Blue
A letter promoting consistent student attendance was sent home last month. If you missed it, please check it out. Attendance Letter
The recent PTA Spirit Wear Order should arrive later this week. A Connect Ed call will go out soon for delivery information.
Our Spring Cow Patty Bingo Tickets are on Sale Now! The drawing is March 14th!
Micro offers an English class for parents through JCC. See Mr. Castenada if you are interested.
- It is Flu Season. Check out this link for tips to help your family fight the flu!
- Reminder: All school visitors will continue to use the front entrance at all times to enter the building. In the past, for awards ceremonies and during morning drop-off parents have been allowed to enter through the side. This year we want all parents and visitors using the front door each time they are on campus and obtain a visitor pass.
- Would you like to volunteer? Contact our school counselor, Mandy Yelverton, if you are interested in volunteering. MandyYelverton@johnston.k12.nc.us or 919-588-4300. We are expanding our Spider Buddies Volunteer Network this year.
- We are looking for volunteers to help proctor the 3-5 end of grade tests. If you are interested, please complete this form.
- Johnston County Emergency Services provides an excellent service with their JOCOAlerts notification system by providing critical time-sensitive information to the public during emergencies. Sign up here
- April 4th is NoJo Family Day. This a free event for our community. There will be student performances, inflatables for kids, food trucks, a petting zoo, face-painting, and more. There are also vendor opportunities. There are vendor information forms in the front office if interested.
Click here These forms need to be updated each year.
Reduced Breakfast for Grades K-12: Free
Breakfast for Grades K-12: $1.40
Reduced Lunch for Grades K-12: $.40
Lunch for Grades K-8: $2.30
Lunch for Grades 9-12: $2.40
February Character Winners
Mr. Sevigny instructs student in recorder in grades 2-5. Students work hard to earn belts and level up!
Black Widow Choir
We got a sneak peak of this year's Showcase of Stars Performance at this month's PTA Meeting.
Upcoming Important Dates
March 2nd: Cow Patty Bingo Tickets on Sale
March 3rd: Battle of the Books Competition,
March 12th: Spring Pictures and Spider Buddies Volunteer Visit
March 13th: End of 3rd Quarter
March 16th: Teacher Workday
March 17th: Regular School Day
March 19th: Career Day at Micro (See Mrs. Yelverton if you are interested in helping)
March 24th: 3rd Quarter Report Cards
March 25th: Duty Free Lunch for Teachers (Volunteer Opportunity)
March 26th: Parent Academy
March 28th: Science Olympiad Competition
April 1st: 3rd Quarter Awards Day
April 4th: 11:00 am-1:00 pm NoJo Family Day