May 21st - May 25th
Monday, May 28th
- No School--Memorial Day
Wednesday, June 6th
- 4th Grade Farewell Lunch
Friday, June 8th
- Field Day for 3rd and 4th Graders, 10:15-2:15 pm
Thursday, June 14
- Last Day of Attendance for Kindergarteners
Friday, June 15
- Last Day of School, 11:55 am dismissal
- 4th Grade Farewell Party, 3-5 pm
Assistant Principal Ryan's Note
- It has been another great week at Harper! We have several new lunch clubs being offered this month. The Lego Mosaics in our newsletter are samples of the fun had during Lego Club this week. Next week we will have Freckle Club and Drawing Club.
- Bravo to our singers for a fantastic performance in the choir show last week! It was a pleasure to watch you sing and celebrate the end of the year.
- Our kindergarteners are busy preparing for their leap into first grade. This week kindergarteners took a tour of first grade and were given advice for success from our soon to be second graders. The biggest smiles were seen during the kindergarten lunch experience as they ventured downstairs for lunch in the big kid cafeteria. Fun was had by all, and the kids are ready for fall!
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR BUS REGISTRATION NEXT YEAR
Dear District 39 Families,
This is a reminder that BUS REGISTRATION is open for next year, and must be completed by July 13th for your student to ride the bus on the first day of school. This cutoff allow us to develop the most efficient routes. Late registrations will be subject to a fee - $50 for a one-way and $100 for round trip. Students registering late will only be placed on existing routes and stops when space is available and may not begin to ride the bus until September 17th. Late registrations will be processed in the order they are received. If the bus routes cannot accommodate your child, you will either be placed on a wait list or receive a refund.
The EXPRESS BUS will be back! The express bus provides a direct route between: Central - Highcrest, Central - WJHS, McKenzie - HMS, and McKenzie - WJHS. This allows for the shortest possible ride to school, reduced congestion on the neighborhood streets, and more friends at the bus stop. After you have paid your transportation fee, you can place your child on an EXPRESS BUS route.
If you purchase AM transportation for HMS and/or WJHS, and your child participates in the instrumental music program, you will be able to ride the EARLY MORNING MUSIC BUS. The bus will pick up both HMS and WJHS students on the route and bring all students to WJHS at 7:20. WJHS music students will start their music lessons, and HMS music students will board the HMS Music Shuttle, which will leave WJHS at 7:30 to take them to HMS. WJHS students who have purchased AM transportation, and are participating in one of the music programs will be assigned a bus stop. Parents of HMS students should contact me to be placed on a route after the auditions.
If you think you may have already handled bus registration, please check your REVTRAK account; sign in and click on MY ACCOUNT for your order history.
All of this information can be found on the BUS REGISTRATION PAGE on the District website under the “For Parents” tab.
Wilmette Public School District 39
Board of Education Meeting Note:
The monthly Board of Education meeting is Monday, May 21st at 7:00 PM at the MEC. Below are a couple of topics that may be of interest. If you can’t make the meeting, you can view it live or later, either on the District website or on Channel 6. Highlights of the meeting will be emailed and posted online within a day or two.
- Superintendent search update
- WJHS assistant principal announcement
- CRC report
- Kindergarten Enrichment update
- D39 Tentative Budget
- Attention all PTO Committee Members - Please submit all of your 2017-2018 school year expenses to the treasurer by June 30th. All expense reimbursement requests must include an expense voucher, an invoice and/or receipt, and a signature. If you don’t get your expenses in by the end of June, you will not be reimbursed until the beginning of the 2018-2019 school year.
- SCHOOL KIT ORDERING EXTENDED DEADLINE! The school kit ordering deadline has been extended through next Friday, May 25th. Don't miss out, order your supplies today by visiting www.edukitinc.com and typing in Harper to begin your order. Once your order is complete you will receive a confirmation email and your student’s kit will be waiting for them in their classroom on the first day of school. To order for another District 39 school, simply go to www.edukitinc.com and enter the school name to find the supplies for that school. A portion of the sales from each school kit will be donated to the Harper PTO. Questions? Contact Sara O’Hare at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Are you interested in being a room parent for next school year at HMS? Please click here and sign up under your child's grade for next year. We will send out an email the night before teacher assignments are sent (mid August) and those who have signed up as "interested" will have 1st pick. Please contact Lisa Herschel at email@example.com with any questions.
- Is your son interested in becoming a Cub Scout? Please join us for an informational meeting on Wednesday, May 30th at 7pm. The meeting will take place at the home of Kara Gillespie, 2019 Lake ave. Open to students incoming Kindergarten- grade 5. This meeting is adults only please. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Attention 4th Grade Parents! The 4th Grade Farewell Lunch is coming up on Wednesday, June 6th during normal lunch hours and the 4th Grade Farewell Party is on Friday, June 15th from 3:00-5:00. Be part of the festivities and sign up here. For questions / concerns please email email@example.com.
- Yearbooks will be handed out soon! Not sure if you ordered? Go to jostensyearbooks.com. Sign in. Select ORDERS to view history OR call Josten's at 877-767-5217. Please email Debbie Melchiorre at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
- Interested in Destination Imagination (DI)? Destination Imagination (DI) is a team-based creative problem-solving competition for kids grades K-12. Teams work on Science, Fine Arts, Technology, Engineering, Improv, or Community Service. D39 is hosting a DI information session on Monday May 21st from 7-8pm at McKenzie Elementary in the auditorium. All D39 parents are welcome to attend. Questions? Email email@example.com
- 5/29--Sky Dome program for 3rd Grade
- 5/29 Ms. Hofschield's classes visit Dave's Rock Shop
- 6/5 Ms. Levinson's class visits Dave's Rock Shop
- 6/6--2nd Grade visits Adler Planetarium
- 6/13 Mrs. Kolbe (Full Bloomed Lotus) visits 4th grades about transitioning to Highcrest
Kindergarten Enrichment: Attention Kindergarten Parents, your child will be going on a field trip to Dave's Rock Shop located in Evanston. Dave's Rock Shop features an extension fossil collection dating back over 3 billion years ago. Ms. Hofschield's AM and PM classes will be going on May 29th and Ms. Levinson's AM class will be going on June 5th. Thank you Ignite for sponsoring this field trip!
Thanks for your contributions to iGNITE!
Link to Community News:
Wilmette Wings Soccer Tryouts for boys and girls Kindergarten through high school. May 18th-26th.
Wilmette Junior Trevians are hosting a week long cheer camp for all 2018-2019 5th-8th grade boys & girls July 16-20.
Oakton Community College offers STEAM related summer programs to children ages 8-12.
The Center for the Gifted offers summer enrichment classes. Students need not be tested or identified as gifted, just eager to learn!
The Junior Trevians Football Organization is hosting Jr. Trevian K-3 grade Flag Football Tournament on June 2nd & 3rd. Each elementary school enters three teams of 10-12 players: K/1st, 2nd & 3rd grade teams. Also need 1-2 parent volunteers from each school. Email Melissa Mastros at firstname.lastname@example.org
Illinois Baseball Academy is registering boys & girls 3-6 years old. Register individually or as a group and form your own team.
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Adriane McKnight via the Communication Request Form by Mondays at 9 am. If you do not receive an email response within 24hrs, please send an email to email@example.com to confirm your Communication Request Form was received.
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org