Building A Better Body
By: Allie Copple, Nora Schmidt, Emily Tewes and Taylor Koch
- Move naturally/become indistinguishable from real limbs
- Targeted Muscle Reinnervation
- Able to feel heat/pressure
- Bluetooth technology
Benefits of Prosthesis
- Prosthesis allow soldiers to get back into the field faster
- Prosthesis are almost exactly like the real body part
- Does not mean that soldiers have to give up what they love
Types of Prosthesis
- Scientists have made a digital pancreas that regulates a diabetic's blood sugar better than with a pump.
- Cochlear implants improve children's quality of life and help them develop socially and emotionally.
- Stanford developed an eye implant that hopefully can restore blind peoples' sight.
- Face implants helped a woman be able to go out in public.
- A prosthetic hippocampus may allow people with Alzheimer's disease and other memory problems to create long-term memories.
- A prosthetic could give people back the ability to speak.
- The LVAD saves the lives of many people.
- New improvements on the an artificial heart could be a good option for people in heart failure.
ETHICS OF PROSTHESIS AND IMPLANTS
Quality of life: individuals ability to enjoy normal activities, including the concepts of functional capacity and well being
"Tech rich" and those who are "Tech poor"
- Gives people a second chance at life.
- Not only limited to arms and legs, can include organs too.
- Allows soldiers to go back into combat, and cures many diseases.
Abiomed Receives HDE Supplement Approval For AbioCor Artificial Heart. Digital image. Health It Outcomes. N.p., 29 Jan. 2008. Web. 15 Nov. 2014.
Barnes, Robert E. Digital image. The Research and Advancement of Human Prosthetics. N.p., 17 Nov. 2013. Web. 15 Nov. 2014.
Bourzac, Katherine. "A Smarter Prosthetic for the Eye." Technology Review Sept. 2012: 22. EBSCO. Web. 15 Nov. 2014.
Brown, Bayard. A Farewell to Arms (And Legs): The Legal Treatment of Artificial Limbs. Rep. 1st ed. Vol. 47. N.p.: n.p., 2013. Wilson OmniFile Full Text Select Edition. Web. 11 Nov. 2014.
Clair, Weaver. "Artificial heart to make history." Sunday Mail, The (Brisbane) n.d.: Newspaper Source. Web. 14 Nov. 2014.
Cohen, Jon. "Memory Implants." Technology Review June 2013: 62-67. EBSCO. Web. 15 Nov. 2014.
DEUSLE, JEAN-JACQUES. "Heaung Heroes One Wirhless Limb At Atme." Microwaves & RF 53.9 (2014): 42-46. OmniFile Full Text Select (H.W. Wilson). Web. 13 Nov. 2014.
Digitale, Erin. Cochlear Implants Could Help Developmentally Delayed Infants, Says Stanford/Packard Study. Digital image. Stanford Medicine. Stanford Medicine, 31 July 2012. Web. 15 Nov. 2014.
Gravits, Lauren. Prosthesis for Memory. Digital image. Technology Review. MIT Technology Review, 23 June 2011. Web. 15 Nov. 2014.
Herbert, Wray. "Not Just a Pump." Scientific American Special Edition Dec. 2007: 16-24. EBSCO. Web. 15 Nov. 2014.
Hopkirk, Elizabeth. "SOLDIERS WHO LOST LIMBS 'TOO SCARY' TO USE PUBLIC POOL." EbSCO. N.p., 23 Nov. 2007. Web. 12 Nov. 2014.
"Injured Soldier Can Move Robotic Arm By Mind Control." Times, The (United Kingdom) (2013): 22. Newspaper Source. Web. 12 Nov. 2014.
Lewis, Ray. "2/7 Marine Amputee Rejoins Battalion; Returns to Combat after near Death Experience." N.p., 27 Oct. 2008. Web. 15 Nov. 2014.
Lewis, Tanya. "1st Fully Bionic Man Walks, Talks and Breathes." Http://news.yahoo.com/1st-fully-bionic-man-walks-talks-breathes-172208943.html. N.p., 18 Oct. 2013. Web. 15 Nov. 2014.
Lunau, Kate. "Building A Better Human." Maclean's 126.41 (2013): 46-52. OmniFile Full Text Select (H.W. Wilson). Web. 13 Nov. 2014.
Martin, Pam. ""The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday."" Oandp.com. N.p., Jan. 2011. Web. 15 Nov. 2014.
Mascia, Kristen. "A New Face for Chrissy." People 9 Aug. 2010: 71-72. EBSCO. Web. 15 Nov. 2014.
"Pentagon-Funded Research Into Regrowing Limbs Lost In War." Townsville Bulletin (n.d.): Newspaper Source. Web. 12 Nov. 2014.
Pressler, Margaret. "The Bionic Heart." EBSCO. Rodale Inc., Nov. 2011. Web. 15
Robert, Winston. "Britain squanders pioneer work on organ transplants." Sunday Times, The n.d.: Newspaper Source. Web. 14 Nov. 2014.
Roehr, Bob. "Bionic Pancreas Cuts Diabetes Stress." New Scientist 21 June 2014: 12. EBSCO. Web. 15 Nov. 2014.
Schorr, Efrat A., Froma P. Roth, and Nathan A. Fox. "Quality of Life for Children With Cochlear Implants: Perceived Benefits and Problems and the Perception of Single Words and Emotional Sounds- Cochlear Implants Improved the Lives of Children." Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing 52.1 (2009): 141-52. EBSCO. Web. 15 Nov. 2014.
Slack, Gordy. "What's on Your Mind?" EBSCO. Kalmbach Publishing Co., Apr. 2014. Web. 15 Nov. 2014.
Targeted Muscle Reinnervation. Digital image. Industry Tap. Industry Tap, 12 May 2013. Web. 15 Nov. 2014.
The Prosthetics Experience. Digital image. N.p., 2010. Web. 16 Nov. 2014
Vogt, Tom. "Soldier returns to Iraq with a prosthetic leg." Columbian, The (Vancouver, WA) 25 Sept. 2010: Newspaper Source. Web. 12 Nov. 2014.
Zucchino, David. "Prosthetic Center of Excellence News." : Amputee Marine Returns to Combat Duty. N.p., 6 Aug. 2008. Web. 16 Nov. 2014.