AP Human Geography--Ch. 7
- Give examples to demonstrate how the distinctive distribution of African Americans and Hispanics is especially noticeable at the state level.
- Describe the distribution of ethnicities in Tennessee.
- Choose 2 additional states and describe the distribution of ethnicities there.
- Plessy v. Ferguson
- "Jim Crow" laws
- Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas
Summary and Review
- A century ago European immigrants to the United States had much stronger ethnic ties than they do today, including clustering in specific neighborhoods. Discuss the rationale for retaining strong ethnic identity in the United States as opposed to full assimilation into the American nationality identity.
- Despite the 1954 U.S. Supreme Court decision that racially separated school systems are inherently unequal, most schools remain segregated, with virtually none or virtually all African American or Hispanic pupils. As long as most neighborhoods are segregated, how can racial integration in the schools be achieved?
- Ethnicities around the world seek the ability to be the majority in control of countries. What are some of the obstacles to multiple ethnicities sharing power in individual countries?
- Sarajevo, the capital of Bosnia & Herzegovina, once was home to concentrations of many ethnic groups. In retaliation for ethnic cleansing by the Serbs and Croats, the Bosnian Muslims now in control of Sarajevo have been forcing other ethnic groups to leave the city, and Sarajevo is now inhabited overwhelmingly by Bosnian Muslims. Discuss the challenges in restoring Sarajevo as a muliethnic city.