Poinciana Pelican Press
A Note from the PES Administration
CONNECT for SUCCESS and LEADER IN ME
Habit 2: Begin with the End in Mind
Habit 2 focuses on the principles of vision, planning, and purpose. Beginning each day, task, or project with the "end in mind" and asking ourselves, “What do we want to accomplish?” helps to gain a clear vision of purpose and goals in order to make things happen. By doing so, we naturally become more efficient and are able to plan and strategize the best route to our goals as well as plan out the most efficient way to achieve them.
Below is a look at all 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Steven Covey, the guiding principles for each and effective ways to apply each habit in students' daily lives.
Counselor's Corner with Mrs. Steffens
Happy New Year Poinciana Pelicans!
Let’s start the New Year off by talking about Social Emotional Learning (SEL) and what our students have been learning about thus far and what we can accomplish together.
From the Collaborative for Academic, Social and Emotional Learning (CASEL):
Families are a child’s first teacher and an essential factor in the cultivation of social and emotional competencies throughout a child’s life. When schools and families work
together, they can build strong connections that reinforce social-emotional skill
development. In fact, research suggests that evidence-based SEL programs are more
effective when they extend into the home.
Please support our school’s SEL program by reviewing these second quarter topics with your children from Powerful You by Julie Frizzi:
· J-Joking having a time and place and not judging others
· K-Having kind feet, hands and words and spreading kindness
· L-Loving ourselves first and listening to others
· M-Being mindful and using manners to show respect
· N-Being the boss of your fears and noticing and letting go of worries
· O-Being okay with change and living life full on-
· P-Being a problem-solver and pausing, relaxing, and breathing
· Q-Asking “wh” questions and quieting yourself
· R-Being responsible and reporting the goodness in others
· S-Sticking with it and standing up for others and yourself
Tuesday, January 11th- SAC and PTO Meetings
January 11th-13th-Quarter 2 Benchmark Assessments
Tuesday, January 11th:
3rd Grade ELA
4th Grade Math
5th Grade ELA
Wednesday, January 12th:
3rd Grade Math
4th Grade ELA
5th Grade Math
Thursday, January 13th:
5th Grade Science
Please make sure that your child gets a good night's sleep, has a healthy breakfast, and arrives to school on time each day.
Friday, January 14th- No School for Students
Monday, January 17th-No School
Monday, January 24th-Report Cards Available online
To access the Quarter 2 Report Card electronically as a PDF:
- Navigate to https://focus.collierschools.com/focus/
- Enter the Username - your student’s lunch number (student number)
- Enter the Password
- For students in Pre-Kindergarten through Grade 2, enter 1
- For students in Grades 3-12, enter your student’s birthday month and day as four digits (e.g., September 7, 2011 would be 0907)
- Under your student’s picture, click the Reports tab
- The link can be viewed as a PDF or downloaded and saved
The FOCUS Portal can be accessed from the CCPS Portal, clicking the FOCUS icon.