Paintsville High School
Big Sandy Rural Electric Cooperative Scholarship
Big Sandy RECC is offering eight $1,000 scholarships (one from each school in the cooperative's territory) in a program designed to enhance the education and resulting careers of high school seniors. Guidelines for application include:
Applicant must be a graduating high school senior and planning to enroll in a fulltime college or vocational school.
Parent(s) or legal guardian(s) of the applicant must be a member in good standing with Big Sandy Rural Electric Cooperative.
Scholarship recipients will be announced at their high school awards program and are asked to attend Big Sandy RECC's Annual Meeting on May 15th where they will be introduced to the membership.
Applications are due by Friday, April 11, 2014 and may be picked up in Mrs. Samons' office.
Kentucky Manufactured Housing Institute (KMHI) Scholarships
KMHI will award 3 $1000 scholarships to 2014 graduating seniors who currently reside in manufactured or mobile homes. These awards are available for university, college, technical, or vocational programs.
Applications must be postmarked no later than April 15th.
Please see Mrs. Samons for an application or contact Betty Whittaker at (502) 223-0490 or email@example.com.
- Awarded to one Paintsville High School senior
· $1,000 ($500 per semester)
· Application deadline is Friday, April 11, 2014
· Return application to Mrs. Samons or mail to Hall-Bailey Scholarship, 1113 Fitch Lane, Paintsville, KY 41240
· Applications may be picked up in Mrs. Samons’ office
Bobby Mullins Scholarship
Judge Susan Johnson met with all seniors on Wed., March 12th to discuss the Bobby Mullins Scholarship criteria and hand out applications. This Paintsville High School scholarship is in the amount of up to $2000/semester for 8 semesters. Students must be attending a Kentucky post-secondary school and complete an interview.
Application deadline to Mrs. Samons is March 21, 2014.
Johnson County Retired Teachers’ Association Scholarship Trust Fund
The Johnson Co. Retired Teachers’ Association offers a scholarship to a senior at Paintsville High School or Johnson Central High School. The scholarship is in the amount of $500 a year renewable for 4 years.
To apply for this scholarship, the student must:
*Be a senior who plans on attending a KY school
*Have a 2.5 GPA
*Have a composite of at least an 18 on the ACT
*Have financial need
Along with the completed application, the student must:
Submit a letter of recommendation from his/her principal or counselor that addresses any special needs that the student may have.
Applications are due to Mrs. Ann Samons by April 9, 2014.
Anonymous Hope Scholarship
Anonymous Hope is a small but rapidly growing organization that provides scholarship awards to students in as many counties in the state of Kentucky that it can safely afford. Being constrained by the current funding, Anonymous Hope can only provide scholarships to the counties below. Before you apply, please make sure your county participates in our scholarship program by checking the list below. If your county does not participate and you wish for our organization to extend our services to your county, please contact us via email or post a comment on our Facebook page. We frequently add new counties each year based on the recommendations and influence from the community if the funding permits.
Counties that participate in the scholarship program (Updated September 2013)
1. Check the list above and make sure you are currently attending high school in one of the participating counties
2. Click the link below and download the scholarship application form and save it to your desktop.
3. Open the document and carefully read the first page. You will find that the deadline for submission of the application is April 1st. You will also note that the scholarship is renewable based on your performance in college which is determined by your grade point average (GPA). There is a table that describes the amount awarded based on your cumulative college GPA.
4. Complete the entire application and then submit it via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. You will receive a confirmatory email that your application has been submitted.
6. The recipients of the scholarship will be announced during your school's award ceremony at the end of your senior year.
7. Your reward check will be hand delivered to you by the board members at the Annual Award Banquet in July.
Thank you for applying!
Please see Mrs. Samons for an application or visit the website at http://www.anonymous-hope.org/help.html
Bluegrass Indo-American Civic Society (BIACS) awards $1,000 one-time scholarships to high school graduating seniors who will be joining a college for postsecondary education. BIACS has been awarding these scholarships since 1986. This year, BIACS anticipates awarding at least twelve (12) scholarships. Of these, five (5) are merit based, nine (9) are merit-plus need based and one (1) is for a graduate student pursing a degree at University of Kentucky. Also, one merit-need scholarship (Drs. Gopal and Mina Majmundar Scholarship) is reserved for a student from one of the following counties: Floyd, Johnson, Magoffin, Martin, and Knott. Look for additional Majmundar's Scholarship requirements in a separate link on scholarship.biacs.org.
The application material with instructions can be downloaded from the scholarship link on our website www.scholarship.biacs.org or see Mrs. Samons for an application.
Deadline to apply is April 1, 2014.
The KEDC Scholarship Funds award scholarships to college (2 or 4 year), technical or vocational bound students graduating from a high school in a KEDC member district.
·At least a 3.0 GPA
· Meet CPE benchmarks ( English 18, Math 19, Reading 20) or COMPASS
·Write an essay demonstrating potential (why are you the best fit for this scholarship?)
· Must demonstrate financial need; disclose other scholarship awards
· $2500 (non-renewable)
Deadline to apply is April 1, 2014. Please see Mrs. Samons for more details.
Kentucky Federation of Republican Women Scholarship Program
The Kentucky Federation of Republican Women (KFRW) seeks to grant one scholarship annually in the amount of $1000 to a college-bound high school senior girl who has been politically active during high school, is a registered Republican and plans to enroll at an accredited college or university in KY.
The complete application must include the following:
*Completed application form
*One-page essay about a Republican woman you admire
*2 letters of recommendation
Must be mailed by April 1, 2014.
Please see Mrs. Samons for an application.
“I Am UNITE” Scholarship
Twenty scholarships in the amount of $1,500 will be awarded to high schools seniors who are either UNITE Club members or have attended Camp UNITE.
· Complete application
·Member of a UNITE Club or a former camper or counselor
· GPA of 2.75 unweighted or 3.75 weighted
· 2 letters of recommendation
· Deadline to apply is April 1, 2014
Please see Mrs. Samons for an application.
Appalachian Wireless Scholarship
This $1000 scholarship will be offered to 8 graduating seniors who are Appalachian Wireless customers. You may download a copy of the scholarship application at www.appalachianwireless.com. A completed application must be postmarked no later than March 21, 2014
1. Applicant must live & attend high school within Appalachian Wireless’s 29 county home coverage area.
2. Applicant’s parents or legal guardian must be a current Appalachian Wireless customer who has received service for a minimum of 12 months, and is in good payment standing.
3. Applicant must be a senior graduating from high school in the Spring of 2013 and must enroll full-time in a post secondary institution or higher education (two or four-year
college/University, business school or vocational-technical school/institute) as a
beginning freshman in the Fall of 2014.
4. Applicant cannot be an employee or an immediate family member of individuals who are employed with Appalachian Wireless, Inc., or East Kentucky Network, LLC, or any Appalachian Wireless Authorized Dealer.
5. Applicant must have a 2.5 GPA (4.0 scale) at the time of application.
• Financial Need 45%
• Academic Achievement 25%
• School /Community Involvement 20%
• Personal Essay/Letters of Recommendation 10%
*There will be no discrimination based upon sex, age, race, national origin, religion, or
special needs and all information provided will be kept strictly confidential.
Please see Mrs. Samons for more details.
Abbott and Fenner Scholarship Program
Abbott Fenner Business Consultants are pleased to be able to continue with our scholarship program for the 7th year.
We will be awarding up to $1,000 to the winner(s) each year.
Scholarship Deadline: June 14, 2014
Students will submit an essay on the topic that appears on the scholarship page of our web site: http://www.abbottandfenner.com/scholarships.htm
Full details are available on our site.
All seniors need to bring copies of their acceptance letters as well as copies of any scholarship offers to Mrs. Samons. Please bring in even those that you are not accepting.
When you decide NOT to accept a certain scholarship or acceptance into a college, please send a thank you note (e-mail, card, etc.) to that school or organization letting them know that you have decided on something else. That is just common courtesy. All schools and organizations will be very appreciative if you let them know as soon as possible so that they can then make offers to other deserving students.
Graduation and end of the year information will be posted soon!! Can you believe it?