SSR Project # 1
by Gina Visser
I Am Number Four
Page Count: 496 pages
Pros (aka things I loved):
1. It starts out with a few characters and adds characters as the book goes on. This way you didn't have to keep track of lots of characters at the beginning, you only had to keep two straight.
2. The characters have superhuman abilities, but they aren't your typical Iron Man, Captain America, or Spiderman. They were normal kids trying to be normal kids and not trying to show off.
3.Every time a member of the Garde (nine children from Lorien destined to reclaim it and defeat the Mogadorians) dies there is a ring tattoo burned into the ankle of the remaining Garde. This gives gives the Garde a look into the big picture of their survival.
Cons(aka things I didn't like):
1. The main character John was always thinking about his girlfriend. He is an alien running from another alien race trying to exterminate his race, and all he thinks about is how beautiful his girlfriend is and how much he loves her. Its awful.
2. The book was very slow at parts and it seemed as though the plot was not progressing even though I continued reading. I personally don't like books like that, I prefer books that are fast paced.
"In the beginning we were a group of nine.
Three are gone, dead.
There are six of us left.
They are hunting us, and they won't stop until they've killed us all.
I am Number Four.
I know that I am next." (pg 18 in the ibooks version I have)
Connection W/ The Text:
1. I can connect with this book somewhat because superhuman abilities, aliens, and death sentences aside this book is basically about a group of friends since birth who separate and then bond back together in times of need. Thats how I think of my friends after high school, no matter what paths we take and how far apart they take us we will come back together and be there for one another when we need it.
Frequently Asked Questions
A.I read this book because I had just finished reading the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare and I was looking for similar books and this one met my criteria.
Q.In a life or death situation, would it be a good last read?
A. I suppose it would be a good last read because maybe you could pick up some survival tips from John and the other Garde.
Q. Would you recommend it? Why? Who would you recommend it to?
A. I definitely would recommend this book because even though this book is a little slow the next five (and eventually seven) are way better and get deeper into the Garde's situation and you get to meet more members of it and discover their cool powers as they all train and work towards fighting the Mogadorians . Also you get too meet new characters who are not part of the Garde and see how they are able to aid. Its almost as though you are in their shoes and get to go on this epic journey with them to reclaim their planet from the Mogadorians. I would recommend this book to people who are fans of fantasy and superhero books since there is a lot of made up and superpower stuff. There is not really any gender preference for this book since there are both male and female main characters who are strong and great at kicking butt.
Q. How has this book broadened your persecutive on friendship?
A.This book has broadened my perspective about friendship because the Garde haven't seen each other in 12 years, but they know that when they finally meet they can all count on each other to have their backs. This changed my perspective about friendship because I have some friends I haven't seen from elementary school and I have always thought that it would be weird if we ever meet back up again sometime. After reading this book however I have begun to think about the possibility that we will still be really good friends when we meet up again.