Some helpful advice
Ahhh don't Panic!
Going out into the world of work for the first time can be a nerve wracking and confusing experience!! Do not worry it is entirely normal to have a few butterflies about your first day on work experience. Your parents and teachers will have felt the same way on their first day in their own jobs! Hopefully this little help sheet will set your mind at ease and guide you through a successful work experience placement.
- Make sure you know how to get to your placement.
- Find out the times of any buses and metros you need to take.
- Turn up on time; be 5-10 mins early.
- Make a good first impression. Introduce yourself to your contact, smile and shake hands.
- Dress appropriately, smart casual doesn't mean denim jeans and tracksuit bottoms.
- Be enthusiastic even if you are given a job that is boring.
- Be proactive - look for other jobs that you can do
- Be late
- Be rude - fellow workers will not be as patient as your teachers!
- Be afraid to ask for help if you are unsure about what to do
- Be lazy; you are trying to make a good impression
- Forget to ring your employer and school if you are going to be late or absent from work
- Get disheartened if you have a bad day, it happens to us all!
- Forget to fill in your work experience diary every day
- Forget to thank your colleagues at the end of the week for allowing you to complete work experience with them
If you are worried or have a problem with your work experience placement you MUST get in contact with Mr Anderson or Mr Brindle at school so that we can help!!
A teacher may come and visit you later in the week.