Dolphin Parent Connection
November 2019 Volume 5, Issue 3
Upcoming Events and Important Dates
· Monday, November 4th: End of 1st Marking Period
· Tuesday, November 5th: Virtual Learning Day (Staff Work Day--no school for students)
· Wednesday, November 6th: Beginning of 2nd Marking Period
· Wednesday, November 6th: Anchored4Life Club @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Thursday, November 7th: Girls on the Run @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Friday, November 8th: PTA Veterans Day Celebration (see PTA News below for more info) @ 8:30 AM
· Monday, November 11th: Veterans Day--No School
· Tuesday, November 12th: Girls on the Run @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Tuesday, November 12th: Maker Club @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Wednesday, November 13th: Report Cards Issued
· Wednesday, November 13th: Helping Hands Meeting @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Wednesday, November 13th: SCA Meeting @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Wednesday, November 13th: STEM/Robotics Club @ 2:45-4:15 PM
· Wednesday, November 13th: Spirit Night at Chipotle @ 4:00-8:00 PM
· Thursday, November 14th: Girls on the Run @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Friday, November 15th: PTA Turkey Bingo @ 6:00-8:00 PM
· Tuesday, November 19th: Girls on the Run @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Tuesday, November 19th: Maker Club @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Tuesday, November 19th: Art Club @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Wednesday, November 20th: Helping Hands @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Thursday, November 21st: Fall Make-up Pictures
· Thursday, November 21st: Girls on the Run @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Monday, November 25th: Fuel Up to Play 60 Turkey Trot during PE (Parents invited to run laps with student during grade level PE time)
· Monday, November 25th: Garden Club @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Wednesday, November 27th: Dolphin Bowl (Flag Football Game) @ 9:30 AM
· Wednesday, November 27th: Early Release at 12:10 PM
· Tuesday, December 3rd: First Grade Gifted Information Parent Meeting @ 9:00 AM
· Tuesday, December 3rd: Fifth Grade Gifted & Middle School Information Parent Meeting @ 6:00 PM
· Tuesday, December 3rd: Art Club @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Tuesday, December 3rd: Maker Club @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Tuesday, December 3rd: Girls on the Run @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Wednesday, December 4th: Anchored4Life Club @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Wednesday, December 4th: STEM/Robotics Club @ 2:45-4:15 PM
· Thursday, December 5th: Girls on the Run @ 2:45-4:00 PM
· Saturday, December 7th: PTA Winter Wonderland @ 9:00-12:00 PM
Winter Chorus & Strings Concert
Please join us for the Winter Concert on Monday, December 16th at 6:30 pm in the Cafetorium featuring the 5th grade chorus students and the 5th grade strings students. Our musicians have been working diligently this semester to prepare for their performance. We hope to see you there!
Virtual Learning Day PBIS Focus
Grade 5 Parents,
You are invited to attend the fifth grade parent workshop to learn more about the 5th grade gifted screening, identification, and application processes. Additionally, Ms. Whitt, our school counselor, will share information about the Plaza MYP program. Please click the link to complete the RSVP form.
When: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 at 6:00 PM Red Mill Library
Grade 1 Parents,
You are invited to attend the first grade parent workshop to learn more about the 1st grade gifted screening and identification process. Please click the link below and complete the form to RSVP.
When: Tuesday, December 3, 2019 at 9:00 AM Red Mill Science Lab
An Assessment Specialist for gifted education will be at Red Mill Elementary on Tuesday, December 17, 2019 to work with 1st grade students as part of the screening process. A good night's sleep and a nutritious breakfast are the best preparation for screening. Having your child present on this date is appreciated, but a make up date will be scheduled if needed.
All Grade 1-5 Parents,
The link below is used for all gifted application services to include identification, cluster classroom, Old Donation School, dance, and visual arts. Please note that the gifted visual arts application requires a portfolio to be submitted to complete the application.
Grades 2-7: January 10, 2020 4:00 p.m.
Grade 1: February 10, 2020 4:00 p.m.
If you have questions, please reach out to Tamyra Natividad, Gifted Resource Teacher, at firstname.lastname@example.org
School Counselor Corner
In November, students will learn how to recognize small, medium, and big problems. We will practice strategies to use for each type to ensure that our reactions are not too big or too small. If you would like to reinforce this at home, please reference bit.ly/RMProbSize.
Families in need of Christmas Assistance from The Salvation Army, Joy Fund, Toys for Tots, Operation Blessing and Angel Tree may apply in person at The Salvation Army Area Command Office, 5525 Raby Road, Norfolk, VA 23501 on the following dates and times:
- Tuesdays in November: 11/5; 11/12; 11/19; 11/26 from 2:00 to 4:30 PM
- Thursdays in November: 11/4; 11/14; 11/21 from 10:30 AM to 1:00 PM
Contact Ms. Whitt for additional information regarding required documentation or visit virginiasalvationarmy.org
Attention 5th Grade Parents! It is never too early to begin planning for middle school. We are holding an information session for parents with students interested in applying for middle school Gifted programs and/or Plaza Middle School’s International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme on December 3rd at 6 PM. If you would like to attend, please RSVP at bit.ly/RMES5th. Also, please see the dates below for upcoming parent information nights hosted by the middle schools.
Ms. Whitt can be reached phone (648-3572) or e-mail (email@example.com).
November PE News
Dolphin Bowl Flag Football Game
The 5th Annual Dolphin Bowl will be held Wednesday, November 27th from 9:30-11:00 AM. Parents are encouraged to come watch an all-star team of 5th graders face off against our undefeated staff team! There will be a halftime show and plenty of school spirit! Don’t forget your lawn chairs and blankets!
Fuel Up to Play 60 Turkey Trot
Lace up your running shoes and jog/walk a mile with your student during their P.E. class on Monday, November 25th! If you would like to participate, please sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C094DAAA623A2FB6-fuel
Operation Smile Shamrock Final Mile
Register to run with Red Mill in the Operation Smile Shamrock Final Mile!
Saturday, March 20th, 11am https://register.hakuapp.com/?event=e43edd9eb215ded263e0
Give Thanks and Do Planks!
Are you ready to Flourish with Fitness throughout the month of November? If so, then it’s time for 30 DAYS of THANKS and PLANKS! Perform the exercise listed on the attached handout each day and think of something or someone you’re grateful for and write it in the space provided. Bring your completed calendar to Ms. Parker by Friday, December 6th for a brag tag!
Thank you to all who logged on for our first virtual PTA meeting. We think it went over well! If you missed it, be sure to like our PTA Facebook page and watch for updates or even watch the archived meeting.
Veterans Day Celebration
We are excited to celebrate another Veterans Day at Red Mill. We are inviting veterans to come visit with students on Friday morning, November 8th. Veterans are invited to a light breakfast before they will disperse to visit classrooms. If you can bring a breakfast contribution, please see our SignUp Genius to help celebrate our veterans: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0d4faaa92aa3fb6-veterans1
If you are a veteran who is available and willing to come talk with students, please contact Anna Walker as soon as possible at firstname.lastname@example.org or 757.620.4902.
Please include the following information:
- Name (including Rank/Grade)
- Branch of service
- MOS or Specialty
- Conflict location and dates
- If you have a child at RMES and would like to request a specific teacher/classroom, please include his or her name.
Additional details will be relayed to the veterans attending once we know how many we will be welcoming.
Do you have “excess” Halloween candy?
The PTA will be set up in the foyer Friday morning, November 1st and Monday morning, November 4th to collect any unwanted Halloween candy. Students can make a drop-off on their way in the building (approx. 7:45 - 8:10). The candy will be given to a local orthodontist office which will send it to troops stationed overseas! It’s an easy way to show our military support and avoid cavities.
Turkey Bingo will be held Friday, November 15th from 6-8 PM. This is a Red Mill favorite! You can pre-order pizza (see attached form below) or eat dinner before you come. The event is free. Pizza will be ready at 6:00 PM. Bingo will begin at 6:30 PM.
Your PTA is busy planning the annual Winter Wonderland which will be held Saturday, December 7th from 9:00 AM—12:00 PM. It’s a fun time for all! It will include a craft show, silent auction, kids’ crafts, a cake walk, face painting, a kid-friendly shop, and more!
We are currently accepting vendor applications for the craft event. If you make and sell crafts, contact Jen Cardona at email@example.com
If you know a business interested in donating an item or service to the Winter Wonderland Silent Auction, please know items can be mailed or brought to the school or you can contact Anna Campbell for pick-up at firstname.lastname@example.org. All contributions to the silent auction are tax-deductible.
We have a Winter Wonderland committee in place but will need many volunteers the day and week of to make this an amazing event! Details will be sent out closer to the date regarding volunteer sign-ups.
Successful Boosterthon Fun Run
Thank you to everyone for your support during our annual Boosterthon Fun Run! We surpassed our goal and raised over $37,000. We look forward to purchasing new equipment, furniture, and instructional materials for the school, as well as funding several fun events for the kids!
Amazon Smile and Box Tops
As you begin to shop for the holidays, keep in mind that you can select Red Mill Elementary on Amazon Smile. 0.5% of eligible purchases will come back to the school. Box Tops Labels turned into $325.60 this time around! We will put this money toward funding “Beach Bags” of food for students in need. We’ll turn in another round in December. You can still clip and turn in any labels found on grocery items, and now you can download an app that allows you to easily scan your receipt. Search your app store for Box Tops and see how easy it is! Thank you to volunteer Bekah Kelly for coordinating this fundraiser.
PTA Variety Show
Looking ahead… we will be holding our variety show in February this school year. Students who want to participate should start thinking now about how they’d like to share their talent.
Next PTA Meeting
The PTA Board will hold a planning session on Thursday, November 14th at 11:45 AM. This is a smaller meeting but any parent is welcome to join. We will provide a General PTA update at the beginning of our Turkey Bingo event on the 15th. You can always e-mail email@example.com or go through our Facebook page with any questions or concerns.
Mathnasium Red Mill Open House
Kellam High School Fall Festival
Free Access to Virginia Beach Public Library Digital Resources
Did you know that Virginia Beach students have digital access to the Virginia Beach Public Library? Through a partnership between Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS) and Virginia Beach Public Library (VBPL), all K-12 students have year-round public library digital access.
Browse for resources using this link VBPL's Digital Library or access the Virginia Beach Public library through Clever. When prompted for a library card or account number, enter the following:
Login: S + VBCPS Student ID number. Example: S1234567
Password or "PIN": Date of birth in MMDD format. Example: a Jan. 1 birthday would be 0101
- Students only need their login and password to access digital resources 24/7. No physical library card is issued.
- Student accounts include public computer access at all VBPL locations except for the TCC/City Joint-Use Library.
- VBCPS accounts expire 30 days after a student graduates or leaves the VBCPS district.
- Access to Hoopla and Newsbank resources is not included in VBCPS student accounts.
- Students may also hold a Youth Library card (with parent signature) to check out physical items from the library.
Not Receiving Text Messages from the School?
Our records indicate that we still have some families not receiving text messages from the school with important reminders and transportation changes. If you have not received any text messages from Red Mill this school year, you may have not yet Opted in to receive text messages. See below for directions on how to Opt In or Opt Out of text messages.
How do I know if I have Opted-in?
You can check if you are opted-in by texting “Y” or "YES" to 67587.
How do I opt-out?
You may opt-out at any time by texting “STOP” to 67587.
What if I opted-out but later decide I would like to opt-in again?
As long as your child’s school has your text-enabled phone number on record, you may request to begin receiving text messages by texting “Y” or "YES" to 67587. If the school does not have your text-enabled number on record, you will need to contact the school.
If you would like to do any of the following regarding your child's lunch account, please visit https://www.schoolcafe.com/virginiabeachcps
· Make Payments
· Set up Auto Pay
· Set Purchase Restrictions
· Get Low Balance Alerts
· Submit Applications
· View Purchases
· View Menus
Students and their parents are encouraged to visit the Academic and Career Planning webpage to view and engage with K-12 career resources, middle and high school academic and career planning documents, and career pathway guides. Likewise, the Destination Graduation site offers students and families grade-level specific information and resources to help students and families navigate the journey from preschool to high school graduation.