Can it be Used in the Classroom?
What is Instagram?
Instagram allows you to comment on and like other people's photos.
Sign up for an account!
- Download the app to your iPhone, iPod, iPad or Android device.
- Open the Instagram app.
- Tap on "Sign up" to create your account. This must be done on your device. (Even though Instagram has a website, you cannot create an account through the website.)
- Enter your email address, username, password, and upload a profile picture (optional).
- Click Done.
With the privacy settings turned on, anyone who wants to follow you will have to send you a follow request which you can approve or ignore/deny. To approve or deny a request, tap on the username to go to their profile page. At the top of their profile page, you will see the approve and ignore buttons.
A Few Tips
Instagram, like Twitter, uses hashtags to categorize photos by topic making it easy to search.
Users can mention or search for other users (@UserName).
- Be wary of sharing photos with students’ faces and names due to privacy concerns.
Ideas for Using Instagram in the Classroom
Instagram can be used in the following ways in the classroom; however, there are other tools that will work as well or better.
Share homework assignments (photos of the whiteboard/SmartBoard, etc.)
Share interesting student work
Class scavenger hunts
Math/science concept illustration
Share photos of real-life connections to classroom learning
- Show a sequence/observing a change
Instagram Video: What Parents Need To Know
Also included is a PDF that you can download here with even more good information for parents and suggestions on how to help your student/child have a pleasant and responsible experience on Instagram.