Using iTunes U in class
Join me on 27/02/2013 (http://bit.ly/ZGddjV)
Creating an enriching experience for your students!
Now it is easier than ever to leverage students' iPad in your classroom or enable learning anytime and everywhere. Your course allows you to share your ideas in a powerful new way, and your students get a rich learning experience using the iTunes U app for iPad. iTunes U is completely free!
What is iTunes U?
- Somewhat like a Course Management System
- Students access learning resources via free iPhone/iPad iTunes U app
- Free for anyone with an iTunes account for both instructors and students
- Course Manager works on Safari browser (Mac/Win)
- Course Manager is very simple to learn
- Only works on iPhone, iPod touches, and iPad. However android/windows platforms do not have equivalent easy-to-use technology
- One way (teacher -> students) interaction. Require other apps, web 2.0 tools, etc to create a dynamic interaction
- Accept common files such as word, pdf, excel, etc. If you have exotic filetype, consider using the sharing link in DropBox
- Free account can create up to 12 courses and 50 enrollment per course
iTunes U to manage your lessons
Steps to get your course up and running in 30 minutes or less :-)
- Safari on win/mac
- iTunes Account & password to login to https://itunesu.itunes.apple.com
- Instructor info
- Create course and course setting
- Course outline, a.k.a., topics
Populate your course
- Add post - Topic -> Title -> Message -> Assignment (ie material)
- From computer - word, pdf, excel, video (if not these format, you will need to rely on dropbox)
- Web Link - YouTube, website, etc
- iTunes Store Link - open app on iPad (if it is not installed, will direct to AppStore to download app). The instructions are found in the pictures below.
- Share with students
- Approve enrollment
iTunes U Linkmaker
This are 2 courses for your viewing pleasure. I will keep them for your reference until the mid of 2013. Do note that I can only approve up to 50 enrollments per course.