Ms. Wertheim's Little Leaders
News and Resources from Room 203: Week of April 4
I hope everyone had a wonderful break with a chance to spend time with loved ones. I am excited to be back at school with our classroom community. We are in the home stretch and have many fun lessons and activities planned for these next few weeks. Please continue reading to see important updates and news this week.
Introducing...our new classroom design!
- standing desks (with the option to sit if desired)
- traditional desks with wobble stools
- round table with wobble stools
- low level tables for sitting and kneeling
Check out these little leaders in action. Our first day of flexible seating was a success!
Help us complete our flex seating classroom on Go-Fund-Me:
Learn more about flexible seating...
What we're learning about this week 📚
- Reading- We are beginning our poetry unit this week! Students will explore a variety of poems and analyze elements of poetry, understanding how words and phrases provide rhythm and meaning to stories, songs, and poems.
- Writing- To go along with our poetry exploration in reading, students will be writing a variety of original poems.
- Math- We are beginning our measurement unit. This week students are using centimeter cubes to measure the length of various objects.
- FUNdations- We are continuing Unit 13 which focuses on the vowel teams oa (boat), oe (toe) and ow (snow). For more info, please read the letter attached to their Fundations homework or visit the Fundations page on my blog: http://mswertheim.blogspot.com/p/reading.html .
- Science- We are practicing our sound song for our Sound School performance at the Orange Peel next Monday (Claxton performs at 9:45 a.m. See more info below).
- Social Studies- We are beginning our economics unit.
Important Dates and Reminders: Mark your Calendars 📌
- Thurs., Apr. 7th: PTO Meeting 6 pm at the Burton Street Community Center
- Mon., Apr. 11th: Sound School Performance at the Orange Peel! The show starts at 9:45 and Claxton is the first to perform. All 2nd grade families are welcome to attend!
- Mon., Apr. 18th: Individual and Group Picture Day
- Tues., Apr. 19th: ACS Forum on the Whole Child 5:15-6:15pm at central office
- Fri., April 29: Claxton Play: The Nifty Fifties 6:00 pm
- Sat., April 30: Claxton Play: The Nifty Fifties 6:00 pm
- Sun., May 1st: Claxton Play: The Nifty Fifties 1:30 am
- Mon., May 2: through Friday, May 6, Teacher Appreciation Week
Wish List 🌟
Crackers, fruit, veggies, and individual wrapped snacks are wonderful. No nuts, please :)
Unfortunately we have several classroom books currently checked in to the "book hospital" and they need to be repaired A.S.A.P. Can you help donate the best book bandages? (packing tape)
Sandwich size slider bags
These are easier for kids to open and close when getting out Fundations magnets
Positive Quote of the Week
Class Dojo, Behavior Assessments, and Homework 📓
Behavior assessments are filled out each day by your child. I am so proud of their self-reflection skills! They've done an excellent job with their self-assessments so far. Please be sure to discuss their achievements with them and sign the assessment each evening.
Homework this week consists of:
- Read each night for 20 minutes and fill out reading log/Bingo board
- Math packet (due Friday)
We will begin reading responses next week.