Long Hill School Newsletter
Message from the Principal, Mrs. D'Aiuto
Long Hill School had a lot of exciting things going on in December. Our young shoppers had a great time picking out gifts for loved ones at our PTO Holiday Fair. The annual LHS Toy Drive was a huge success and all the donations were given to the Boys & Girls Club of Lower Naugatuck Valley. Our PJ Day for the Kids raised over $500 which was donated to the Connecticut Children's Medical Center Foundation. I wanted to extend a big thank you to all of our room coordinators who helped organize our Winter Celebration drop off snacks. Seeing and hearing the happiness and excitement in our students surely put the school in a festive mood.
As we begin 2023, we are looking forward to see what the new year will bring us. I can not wait to see what this new year has in store for LHS!
On Friday, December 9 we wore our pajamas for a good cause.
We raised over $500 which was donated to Connecticut Childrens.
Thank you for your donation.
- Tuesday, January 3: School Resumes
- Tuesday, January 3: SMART Program ended - meals (breakfast & lunch) are charged
- Monday, January 16: No School - Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Friday, February 17-Monday, February 20: No School
Ms. Zwolinski's class celebrating Festive Day.
On Friday, December 22 we celebrated Festive Day.
Students and staff wore their favorite festive outfits to show holiday spirit.
Information regarding early dismissals, delays, or cancellations as they relate to winter weather
Please plan ahead and make sure that you have made the necessary arrangements for your child in cases of early dismissals and delayed openings.
- Kindergarten-Fourth Grade: 2 hour delayed opening - doors open at 10:45am; school begins at 11:00am; morning bus stop time is 2 hours past normal bus stop time.
- AM Pre-K: NO SESSION ON DELAYED OPENINGS
- Kindergarten-Fourth Grade: Early dismissal (unless otherwise noted) - 1:50pm
- PM Pre-K: NO SESSION ON WEATHER RELATED EARLY DISMISSALS
- Make sure the main office has current emergency contact information. Advise your emergency contacts that they must show photo ID. Your child will not be released to anyone who is not listed as an emergency contact on Infinite Campus.
- Delays, early dismissals, and cancellations will be posted on the district's website at www.sheltonpublicschools.org. There is no district phone call that goes out.
- Local radio and TV stations will also broadcast the message.
- You can also sign up for text message alerts from various news news stations.
- Please do NOT call the school as it is important to keep the phone lines open for emergencies.
BREAKFAST AND LUNCH UPDATE
Free meals (breakfast and lunch) HAVE ENDED. There will now be a charge for all meals.
*** Because this SMART transition program HAS EXPIRED, it is critical that households submit a free-and-reduced-priced-meal- application, as soon as possible, to determine a student's eligibility for this school year and to avoid unpaid meal charges. *** If you need a paper copy of this application, please contact the main office.
Completing and submitting an application will also help your child's school raise additional funds, to help us make meals available to all students at no cost for as long as possible.
Note: Households that do not submit a free-and-reduced-price-meal application, or whose child is not directly certified, will automatically default to Full Pay when the SMART funds end.
Dressing for Winter Weather
A voice mailbox is available for calls at night or early morning for your convenience. When you leave a message, please state the student's first and last name, the date of the absence, the classroom teacher, and the reason for the absence. If your child's classroom teacher uses Class Dojo, a Dojo message is NOT an approved way to report your child's absence.
Automated absence calls go out at 10:30am daily (AM Pre-K through Fourth Grade) and 2:00 daily (PM Pre-K). If you did not call your child out of school you will receive a call.
Change of dismissal
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Essay Contest
Submission link for essays: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1dwgXnsIxosgfg5bXpTme1shPfcgpgfm-h5nEUWC12jo/edit
Culture in the Classroom
If you are interested in participating in Culture in the Classroom please email Mrs. Krauss at email@example.com.
From PTO's Desk
- Thank you for your overwhelming support at Holiday Fair and Ice Cream fundraiser. We look forward to an awesome 2023 we well!
- PTO General meeting on January 9th, 2023 from 6pm to 7pm, Media center at Long Hill School.
- Restaurant night will be announced soon. Hopefully in the second or third week of January.
- Winter Spirit wear drive will commence soon.
- Sale of Yearbook to open in last week of January.
- LHS 2022-2023 Yearbook Photo Submission Link https://images.jostens.com/ImageShare/upload/940825096/ to get featured in our Yearbook. Please remember to include your child's name & grade when uploading pictures. Questions - please contact Kendra Rojas.
- Rewards program to support PTO – Box tops, Amazon Smile, Big Y and Stop and Shop grocery bags
- Join us on Facebook by searching LHS PTO SHELTON or https://www.facebook.com/groups/969539826920560
Reminder About Planned Vacations
For planned absences, such as vacation during the school year, teachers are NOT required to provide students or parents/guardians with advance work or assignments. It is the student’s and/or parent’s responsibility to get the work upon their return. Taking time from school to go on a vacation poses a risk to your child’s educational progress. Both students and parents must understand that when school is missed due to vacations, it is not the responsibility of the teachers to provide remedial instruction for the assignments/content that has been missed.
***This information is also located in the LHS Policies & Procedures***
Address: 565 Long Hill Avenue, Shelton
Phone number: (203)-929-4077
Fax number: (203)-929-8250
LHS Policies & Procedures: https://www.smore.com/1uhka