What the Freud?
Sigmund Freud wants you to know his business...
Personal information, not too personal, though...
- Born: May 6, 1856 in Freiberg (now known as Czech Republic)
- At the age of four, he moved to Vienna. The town in which he would spend the most of the remainder of his life.
- He received his medical degree in 1881.
- Shortly after, in 1882 he was engaged to marry.
- His marriage had the outcome of six children, the youngest being Anna. (Anna was also a psychoanalyst.
- After he graduated he then set up a private practice to begin treating various psychological disorders.
- In 1896, he introduced the word psychoanalysis.
- He made the words unconscious, conscious, and conscience to be popular throughout the time.
- He pushed the thought that sex drive was the most important motivating force.
- According to Freud at different times in our lives we find different parts of us more pleasurable.
- All of his ideas came together to concoct his Psychosexual Stage Theory.
Psychosexual Stage Theory...once again, what the freud?!
- Oral stage (newborn-18 months)- They find pleasure with the mouth, usually sucking. Lol, that sucks.
- Anal stage (18 months- 3 years old)- They find pleasure in holding their poop and letting their poop come out. Hahaha holy sh*t.
- Phallic Stage (3 years old- approx. 7 years old- Children are pleasured by their genitals in ways of touching, sometimes even masturbation. A 3 year old, seriously Freud?
- Latent Stage (7 years old- puberty)- They restrain their pleasure in order to grow and learn. Wtfreud?
- Genital Stage (puberty to infinity and beyond)- The pleasure is then found in doing the hanky-panky. Ew, gross.
- Several of his techniques are still used today in clinical practices.
- Freud believed offering a relaxing area (comfy couch, dim lights, cool environment) allowed the unconscious began to flow out due to the relaxation.
- Free association was something Sigmund believed in, extremely. He thought patients should be able to say whatever was on their mind even if it was completely stupid and useless.
- He believed that if you fall asleep or change the subject to avoid something is the unconscious mind's way of saying that a situation is threatening to you.
- All dreams had meaning according to Freud. So when I was on that roller coaster last night in my dream I guess I am just really missing Carowinds?! What the heck...
His main goal in psychoanalysis was mainly to make the unconscious mind seem to be conscious. Goodness and I thought I over thought everything. I don't have anything on Freud.
Places I got this juicy information:
- Sigmund Freud. (2014). The Biography.com website. Retrieved 8:57, Sept. 7, 2014, from http://www.biography.com/people/Sigmund-Freud-9302400.
- Boeree. G. C. (1997). Personality Theories: Sigmund Freud. Retrieved March 9, 2005. http://www.ship.edu/~cqboeree/freud.html.
- Public Broadcasting Channel. (1997). People and Discoveries: Sigmund Freud. Retrieved March 9, 2005 from