Rising Sun Elementary Tiger News
Weekly Family Update
Sunday, September 3, 2023
Mark Your Calendar!
Monday, September 4
NO SCHOOL - Labor Day
Tuesday, September 5
First Day of School for ALL students!
Wednesday, September 6
Early Dismissal for Elementary - 1:45
Friday, September 15
Spirit Day - Tiger Pride (Wear your RSES gear or school colors!)
Friday, September 22
PTO Bing Night @ American Legion 6:30PM
Monday, September 25
Volunteer Orientation 8:15
Tuesday, September 26
Volunteer Orientation 2:30
Wednesday, September 27
Open House 5:30-6:30
The construction of a secure entrance to Rising Sun Elementary will begin this week with the erection of fencing and temporary walls. Please follow signage posted outside to the New Main Entrance (the car rider loop door). We will have this door clearly marked. Visitors will have to use the door buzzer and speak clearly into the speaker to gain access to the building. Once in the building, our temporary main office will be in a classroom to the left of the door. Again, we will provide clear signage to help you with locating the main office. The construction project will take place mostly after school hours, but it will impact some processes at our building, we appreciate your patience. We anticipate construction will take approximately six months.
- Parents wishing to utilize the car rider loop for dismissal must fill out the Car Rider Loop Sign-up Form. This form will be available during the back to school social.
- Students are not permitted to be picked up in the car rider loop unless a legal guardian has filled out the proper form.
Office Sign Out (UPDATE TO THE PROCEDURE)
- Students may be signed out from our office until 3:15pm (1:35 on Wednesday) for early dismissal. After 3:15pm we ask you to return to your car, we will notify teachers that those students should not be dismissed to their bus. After all buses have been dismissed, those students will be called to the office. You may re-enter the building after bus dismissal to pick up your child at that point. This is for the safety of our students, staff, and you. With construction fencing, temporary walls limiting hallway movement, we do not have the space in the office or hallways to accommodate waiting parents.
- Sending in a note with your student regarding early dismissal is recommended as this helps the teachers with relaying homework and other classroom news before the student leaves for the day.
First Day of School
Rising Sun Elementary School Hours are as follows:
Homeroom 8:45-9:00am (Students marked "tardy" after 9:00 and will need to be signed in in the main office.)
Instruction Begins 9:00am
Dismissal Begins 3:25 (Mon, Tue, Thur, Fri)
Dismissal Begins 1:45 (Wednesday)
Meal Benefits Information
Breakfast and lunch are served daily. Families will have to fill out FARMs applications in order to qualify for Free School Meals EACH YEAR. To complete the application online, please click the link below or scan the QR code.
Parents are encouraged to take advantage of our computerized School Cash online payment website to add funds to your child’s meal account. All meal account checks should be made payable to RSES Food & Nutrition and should not include payment for any other school activity. Please include your child’s name and “meal account” in the memo section of the check. Parents are expected to rectify negative balances in their child’s account. These negative balances do not clear at the end of a school year and also carry over from school to school within the county.
Breakfast $1.50 (Reduced cost= Free)
Lunch $2.90 (Reduced cost= Free)
Milk $ .55
To add funds to your child's meal account, please visit: https://ccps.schoolcashonline.com/
County menus are planned around a four-week cycle. Menus will be distributed during the first week of each month and are also available on the Food Services website. Free and reduced lunch service is available throughout the year upon request. The information is confidential and will be used only to determine eligibility.
All of the bus information for students returning September 5th have been sent out. This information is to be a reminder of the bus information for those students that are using bus transportation. The times are subject to change due to traffic and road conditions as well as students being added or deleted. As a reminder, I encourage you to download the free “WheresTheBus” parent app at www.ccps.org/86 to know when your student’s bus will arrive.
This app utilizes GPS technology on our school buses to allow you as a parent to know when your child’s bus will arrive at their bus stop right from your phone or computer. The system also provides the CCPS Transportation Services Department and bus contractors with additional capabilities to even more effectively manage the bus fleets. It is important to note that in order to maintain information security, you will need to provide your child’s student ID number, date of birth, and provide email confirmation before you will be able to utilize the app. Please carefully read the information below before completing the app registration:
• You should register at www.wheresthebus.com prior to trying to access the app. This works most effectively on a computer and not a cell phone.
• IMPORTANT: Please note the following prior to accessing the online registration: o You will need to know your student’s ID number and date of birth in order to register. Contact your child’s school if you need assistance in finding this information. o If you have more than one student in CCPS, be sure to enter ALL students' names and ID numbers when you register. The app will not allow you to add additional students after registration is complete.
• Visit the website www.wheresthebus.com and select “Set up an account” under “Parents” then select Cecil County Public Schools from the District drop-down menu.
• Upon completing the login information, you will receive an email confirmation.
• You can download the WheresTheBus app from Android and Apple app stores, and will be able to login with the information that you provided during registration.
If you have difficulties in downloading the app or completing the online registration, contact Customer Support at email@example.com. The support team will reply within twenty-four hours.
We look forward to having volunteers come into our school to help the students and staff. For safety reasons, all volunteers helping in school are required to attend an orientation every year. At the orientation, new volunteers will complete a background check form that, if approved, is valid for 2 years.
The Orientation time being offered is:
Monday, 9/25 @ 8:15pm in the Media Center
Tuesday 9/26 @ 2:30pm in the Cafeteria
After the Orientation, and when your background check is approved, then we will be happy to have your help! We will contact you when you are approved so you can contact your child’s teacher to discuss when you would be able to come into school to volunteer.
We are excited to have your help here at school and look forward to seeing you at an Orientation!
Interested volunteers should complete this form.
Questions or RSVP: Contact Jo Ann Sowers firstname.lastname@example.org
This year, we are asking families to fill out student directory information electronically. If you would like your contact information added to a family directory, please complete the form below. Families typically complete this form if they would like their contact information shared with other families in their child's class for the purpose of scheduling play dates, invites to birthday parties, etc. The only information that will be shared is the information that you add to the form. So, if you only want your email address shared, only fill in that piece of information after the required questions. Your information will only be shared with the families in your child's class. Additionally, if you choose not to share your information for the directory, we will not be able to share the class directory with you. **If you have multiple children, please complete a form for each child. This will allow us to efficiently sort the information for distribution. ***
Click HERE to complete the form. The form will remain open until Friday, September 22, 2023.
PowerSchool Parent Portal Password Changes
The PowerSchool Parent Portal and App will re-open on the first day of school, September 5. Starting this year, parents will be required to change their account password when first logging in for the school year. To do so, parents must visit the PowerSchool Parent Portal login page (https://cecilcountysis.powerschool.com/public/) and log in using their current account credentials. If the user is unsure of those credentials, a Forgot Username and Forgot Password link is available to complete the initial login process. Upon logging in, they will be sent to the password reset page to complete the password change process. Passwords must be at least 12 characters in length and must contain at least 1 uppercase letter, 1 lowercase letter, 1 special character, and 1 numeric character.
App users must complete the process using the online portal and after successfully changing their password, users can log into the app to resume using this tool.
Electronic Emergency Card
Elementary School Email Access
Virtual Instruction Days
Revised Virtual Instructional Day Plan:
First TWO inclement weather days, CCPS will be CLOSED.
Inclement Weather Virtual Days
● TWO inclement weather days, Asynchronous Instruction
● FOUR inclement weather days, Synchronous Instruction
Scheduled Virtual Days
● ONE Asynchronous Day, HIGH SCHOOL ONLY ○ March 21, 2024 -- (PSAT/SAT Day)
● ONE Synchronous Day, ALL SCHOOLS ○ May 14, 2024 -- (Election Day)
- Medications must be brought to school with a completed authorization form by an adult. Authorization forms are available in the school office at any time. Students may not keep medications in their backpacks. This includes Tylenol, Motrin, allergy medication, and cough drops.
- All immunization records are due to school by the first day. If you have questions or have misplaced any form, please contact our office or stop in so that we may replace it
- It is very important to notify our School Nurse of any known allergies so that information can be shared, confidentially, with your child's teacher.
RSES School Nurse - Mrs. Sarah Blake, email@example.com
Meet our New Counselor
I am so excited to be your new school counselor! I spent the last 8 years at Bay View Elementary as the school counselor for 3 years and a teacher for 5 years. I also taught 1 year in Harford County. A fun fact about me; I went to Rising Sun Elementary as a little girl and am so happy to be back!
I went on to graduate from Rising Sun High School in 2010. I received my Bachelor's Degree in Elementary and Special Education from Towson University in 2014 and my Master's Degree in School Counseling from Wilmington University in 2018.
Going to the beach, going out on the boat, eating pizza, and spending time with my family and friends are some of my favorite things! I live in Rising Sun with my husband, our two sons Quade & Cooper, and our yellow lab Camden. I can't wait to get to know each of you this school year!
Please complete this form to help me learn more about your child!
Once again, Rising Sun Elementary will be hosting the YMCA for Before and After Care right at the school. If you are looking for childcare before and after school, checkout the flyer below to see what the YMCA has to offer to our students.
Important Medicate Update for Families
Maryland Medicaid is no longer automatic. Please be sure to update your information to avoid a loss in coverage. Please click on this link for more information on how to renew your coverage.
Medicaid de Maryland ya no es automático. Asegúrese de actualizar su información para evitar una pérdida de seguro médico. Haga clic en este enlace para obtener más información sobre cómo renovar su seguro médico.