Second Grade Newsletter
Mrs. Barita, Mrs. Carrasco, Mrs. Kulesza
*Monday, December 7th is "Day 3" for Encore*
Lifework-Week of December 7-11
- Monday: Read & log 10 minutes, 10 minutes Math IXL-recommended
- Tuesday: Read & log 10 minutes, Spelling Words- Rainbow Style-3 colors
- Wednesday: Read & log 10 minutes, Spelling Words- ABC order
- Thursday: Read & log 10 minutes, Spelling Words-Write each word 3 times-test tomorrow
- Weekend: Read 10 minutes each night
*When using IXL, please focus on "Data and Graphs" R.2, R.3, R.4, R.5, R.8, R.9*
Spelling Words-Test 12/11/15
Long “o” Digraph Syllable Patterns
In math, we are learning how to analyze and create pictographs and bar graphs. The test for this unit will be given in 2 parts. Part A will be on Thursday, December 10th and Part B will be on Friday, December 11th.
In social studies, we are learning about Ancient Egypt. Concepts include:
- Location of Egypt and The Nile River on a map
- Climate and plant life
- Adaptations and relationship between environment and culture
- Architecture (Pyramids, Sphinx)
- Inventions & Contributions
We will be doing a “Holidays around the World” theme the week of December 14-18. Students will learn about a different holiday each day during social studies. They will enjoy hearing stories and making crafts. The students will learn a little about Christmas in Mexico and The United States, Ramadan, Kwanzaa, Diwali, and Eid. The purpose of this is to celebrate our diverse ethnic origins (SOL 2.12b). If you are uncomfortable with your child participating in any of these activities, let us know.
I made a little snowman,
I made him big and round.
I made him from a snowball,
I rolled up on the ground.
He has two eyes, a nose, a mouth,
A lovely scarf of red.
He even has some buttons,
And a hat upon his head.
Melt, melt, melt, melt,
Melt, melt, melt, melt.
Dates to Remember
12/4-PTO Spaghetti Dinner & Holiday Shoppe Preview
12/7-PTO Meeting & Holiday Shoppe Grand Opening
12/8-Blue Jay Bucks-orders due
12/9-Last Day for "Toys for Tots"
12/18-Interims Sent Home
12/21-1/3-No School-Winter Break
1/4-Return to School
Barita: Library, Music, PE, Art, PLTW, PE
Carrasco: Music, PE, Art, PLTW, PE, Library
Kulesza: PE, Art, PLTW, PE, Library, Music