Message from the Superintendent
Orange Unified School District | August 2019
Welcome to our new and returning students, families, and staff!
The new school year brings with it a new mission, vision, core values, strategic initiatives, and Graduate Profile to guide the district’s focus over the next five years. This new strategic plan – The Orange Unified EDGE - was created in a collaborative process that included staff, community members, parents, students, business partners, and service organizations. With a focus on Excellence in academics and leadership, Dedicated and engaged communication, Genuine wellness and safety, and Efficient utilization of fiscal capital, The Orange Unified EDGE was designed to propel Orange Unified’s academic programs, community outreach efforts, student and staff support systems, and efficiency to the next level.
Gunn Marie Hansen, Ph.D.
Superintendent of Schools
Orange Unified School District
Helpful Back-to-School Reminders
Safe driving starts with you!
Stay alert and avoid distracted driving.
- Obey school zone speed limits and follow your school's drop-off procedure
- Make eye contact with children who are crossing the street
- Never pass a bus loading or unloading children
- The area 10 feet around a school bus is the most dangerous for children; stop far enough back to allow them to safely enter and exit the bus
(Source: National Safety Council)
Help Your Child Succeed in School: Build the Habit of Good Attendance Early
Starting in kindergarten, too many absences can cause children to fall behind in school.
- Missing 10 percent (or about 18 days) can make it harder to learn to read.
- Students can still fall behind if they miss just a day or two days every few weeks.
- Being late to school may lead to poor attendance.
- Absences can affect the whole classroom if the teacher has to slow down learning to help children catch up.
Attending school regularly helps children feel better about school—and themselves. Start building this habit in preschool so they learn right away that going to school on time, every day is important. Good attendance will help children do well in high school, college, and at work.
Visit orangeusd.org to stay up-to-date on the latest news and announcements.
- Check out our Master Calendar of Events
- Our Board Agendas can now be found in Board Docs
- Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OrangeUnifiedSchoolDistrictCA
- Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/orangeunifiedCA
- Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/orangeusd/