BIRD'S EYE VIEW Parent Edition
23-24 Newsletter from the Principal #4
Dear Red Hawk Parents:
“It’s autumn! A time of hot chocolatey mornings, and toasty marshmallow evenings, and, best of all, leaping into leaves!” — Winnie the Pooh
Welcome to November!
I want to thank all of you who made me feel so special during National Principal's Month (October). I appreciate the tokens of appreciation, emails and kind words throughout these month (and really always). I love this community and together we continue to excel and reach new horizons. Our academic standing is stronger than ever and we have excellent safety systems in place that continue to make us very unique in the region.
Thank you to all parents that joined our volunteer trainings and have completed the process. We had five parent sessions to allow everyone to volunteer at the campus. I am grateful for the support many of you provide in decorating or helping us throughout the school year. We are very lucky to have such wonderful and committed team of volunteers.
We need your help and support in ensuring your child attends school every day. If sick and with a doctor's note, our Red Hawks can log-in to remote conferencing from 8-10 am. The Google Meet is found on our school website. More information about remote conferencing is found below in the section below.
This month you have an opportunity to make our teachers and staff very special. If you are able to gift a pie on November 17th please sign-up by using this link:
The weather has officially changed and we are approaching Daylight Savings Time on November 5th. We have 11 instructional days before the Thanksgiving Break.
Students do not attend school on Wednesday November 1st
Thanksgiving Luncheon November 15th (ID and ticket required)
Thanksgiving Break is from November 20th-November 24th
School resumes on Monday November 27th.
A reminder that our Thanksgiving Luncheon tickets are on sale until November 9 (or until supplies last). We are looking forward to this wonderful event and we cannot wait to see all or families.
Every day is a happy day at Reyes!
Happy fall! 🌰 🍂
*This newsletter is updated throughout the month.
*This newsletter can be read in Spanish by clicking the translating button.
TELECOMMUNICATION DEVICES (CELL PHONE, APPLE WATCHES, ETC)
Students must keep their cell phones, Apple Watches and any other phone watch turned off and in their backpacks from 7:45 am to 3:15 pm. In case of an emergency, students will be allowed to make phone calls from the office. Please read district policy below which can be found in the Student Handbook pg. 54.
Additionally the Parent Compact 23-24 is below with additional information-pg. 3
PHYSICAL EDUCATION CALENDAR NOVEMBER 2023
Parent Teacher Organization
Our PTO (Parent Teacher Organization) is excited to welcome all parents and will have a sign-up booth during our open house event.
Follow the Red Hawks PTO - Home Facebook page for updates and upcoming meetings.
PROCEDURES AND PROTOCOLS
FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL: Parents will be allowed into the building from 7:30-8:00 am on July 31st only. Please exit the building by 8 am. Breakfast will be served in the classroom only the first day of school, after that it will be in the cafeteria.
First Day of School is Monday July 31
Last Day of School is Friday May 30
7:30 First Bell-Entrance for all students.
Announcements will begin promptly at 7:45 am
7:15-7:40 am Breakfast in the cafeteria. All students eating breakfast must enter through the cafeteria double doors. Everyone else will use the station opening at 7:30 am.
7:45 am Tardy Bell
7:45 am Instruction begins
10:30-12:45 Lunch block (every grade has a different recess and lunch time)
3:15 Dismissal in front of the school. Your teacher will specify the exact location.
MORNING PROCEDURES (PLEASE SEE THE MAP INCLUDED BELOW)
If your child is eating breakfast please drop off in the lower level at 7:15 am and let them know to walk to the cafeteria. We are a closed campus for breakfast and lunch.
Station 1 is for PK-2
7:30-7:44 upper level courtyard next to the front office (white gates). All students PK-2 will enter here. You may drop off at the loop behind the flag mural.
Station 2 is for 3rd-5th
7:30-7:44 lower level drop-off loop on Via Canutillo. Entrance will be the double doors next to the amphitheater. All 3rd-5th grade students will enter here. You will drive towards the lower-level drop-off loop through Via Canutillo and exit using the same gate.
A reminder that the upper-level parking lot is not a drop-off. Please be respectful and do not use that as a drop-off. We have students and parents walking and dropping off students at this location and it only causes more traffic and safety concerns.
Station 3: Front office. Daycare and school bus only.
During open house, the teacher will notify you of the specific dismissal pick-up locations but dismissal for everyone is in the upper level (in front of the school).
Safety will continue to be our top priority. We work very closely with the Canutillo ISD Police under guidance from TEA and local authorities to ensure we continue to train all stakeholders and following safety protocols.
- Please ensure you are part of the official call out system and Parent Portal for the campus/district. All parents are responsible for signing up for it. Please see our campus receptionist to do so.
- All visitors MUST have their ID to show at the door prior to entry into the building.
- If you need to come to the office, please bring your ID and use the Ring door bell and we will ask you to show us your ID at that time before we let you in. If you need to speak to Administration and/or teachers, please call to set up an appointment.
- Monthly emergency drills will be conducted and will be listed in the monthly calendar.
- All campus employees will be trained on our safety protocols prior to the first day of school.
- All campus doors are locked and access to building with staff badge only. All substitutes, parents and other district employees will enter through the front office.
- All volunteers and PTO must check in the front office, bring their ID and sign-in using the volunteer binder. All volunteers must have a task for the day and not interrupt classroom instruction. Volunteer badge may be revoked at any time by the campus administration if protocols are not followed.
- Police officer on duty at our school but also supports other schools during the day - Officer Diana Hernandez.
- Below are our Drill Handouts for Parents. Speaking to your child before the school year starts regarding the drills we have in school is beneficial. Safety begins with all of us.