Week of December 15, 2014
Only 5 more days to go...until Christmas Break
We are are the downhill slide into the last of 2014! This is the time of the school year when teachers, but new teachers especially, are experiencing some (or a lot of) disillusionment with your students, your team, your school, etc. I know that there are still a few days until a much needed two week break and some of us will use all of it to plan for our return. You deserve this time to recuperate and recharge, so PLEASE prioritize (make yourself #1), and take some time for yourself to turn off your brain for awhile, relax with family or friends (or even just yourself if that's your preference), and enjoy some time off!
Progress Reports are coming to town
You should have at least one major grade and a minimum of three minor grades. Remember, due to policy change that for any grade taken by Friday, December 12th, students have until Wednesday, December 17th to redo, retake, make-up, etc.
Grades must be posted and finalized by 5pm on December 17th.
After School Intervention Success
We now have five nights of ASI completed, but the number of students continues to grow. Please keep in mind that one of our expectations is that our students give their best effort the first time - this means their work is turned in on-time and complete. If the work is late please assign an ASI. If the work is not complete, at teacher discretion, then assign an ASI. If you have questions, regarding assigning a student to ASI please feel free to contact me.
Some things to remember for ASI:
- Give the student a choice between the next two ASI dates - while understanding that a student may need even a third choice because it's the only time that they can get a ride home (this is at teacher discretion)
- You must give the student 24 hours notice that they've been assigned to ASI - please make CLEAR the night that student has signed up to serve, it should never be a surprise to a student when they are picked up for ASI
- Enter student/assignment information into the Google form by 7:00am (this deadline is subject to change) on the date of ASI to be served
- Place student work in your teacher folder by 9:00am - please DO NOT ASSUME that students have the work to be done in ASI. Work should include student name AND teacher name and PLEASE only send work for students in that day
- If a student will require more than the resources listed (i.e. textbook, use of cell phone, colored pencils, a book, etc.) we ask that you provide this resource - either during work pick-up OR you must bring it to ASI at the conclusion of the school day
- If a student finishes the original assignment that resulted in them being assigned to ASI, please provide an alternative assignment for them to work on.
Feel free to stop by and check out ASI we would love to have you visit.
Instructional Strategy of the Week
I bring this back to attention because following the Christmas break is a great time to renew your procedures if you have let them lapse, or to begin new procedures if you have found over the last months that you need a specific procedure. Remember, you must teach them, and make them practice.
Some activities that you may want procedures in place for would be:
- Students entering the classroom
- Absent students
- Warm-up, Bell ringer
- Turning in work
- Getting student attention
- Taking quizzes/tests
Got a great lesson??
Dress Code plug
Dress Code Sweeps will be happening during 1st and 3rd period and randomly throughout the day. Please ensure that your students are wearing dress code appropriate clothing. If not, take up the out of dress code items and place student's name on it (post-it, label, etc.) to be collected during the dress code sweep. If student is out of dress code and can't be fixed or need to shave the students will be escorted to ISS to be fixed or they will remain in ISS for the day.
As long as names are on the items, Ms. Jernigan will input them into the Google form.
NFHS Upcoming Events
Tuesday, December 16
Girls BASKETBALL (V/JV) vs. Terrell High School
Girls BASKETBALL (9) vs. Terrell HS
Friday, December 19
Boys BASKETBALL (V/JV/9) @ Dr. John D Horn HS
Girls BASKETBALL (V/JV/9) @ Royse City High School
Coffee House 2014 - NFHS Choir
Girls BASKETBALL (V) @Kaufman Tournament
Boys BASKETBALL (JV/9) @ Kennedale Tournament
Tuesday, December 30
Boys BASKETBALL (V) vs. McKinney North High School
Friday, January 2
Boys BASKETBALL (V/JV/9) vs. Rockwall-Heath HS
Girls BASKETBALL (V/JV/9) @Rockwall Heath HS