Parent Newsletter - Issue #293 - October 11, 2020
We remember our beloved Travis Tiger, Teacher and Coach, Derwyn Lauderdale
The news of the passing of Derwyn Lauderdale has shocked the Travis community. Please join us in keeping his family and friends in your thoughts and prayers.
There will be a crisis team available in the THS library to provide support to students and staff as we grieve the loss of Coach Lauderdale.
We are honored to have known him and learned from him.
Coach Lauderdale posted this Tweet on Friday.
"There's always work to do."
May we honor his life by continuing the great work of teaching and coaching.
This Week at a Glance
- Term 2 Grading Period Begins
Tuesday, October 13 (A Day)
- Tiger Pride - Tiger Tuesday Wear Green for Mental Health Awareness
- Varsity Tennis vs. DHS 3:00 PM
- Volleyball vs. DHS 4:30/5:30/6:30 PM (Pre Sold Tickets for Players' Parents Only)
Wednesday, October 14 (B Day)
- College Wear Wednesday
Thursday, October 15 (A Day)
- Cross Country Meet @ Crenshaw Park
- JV Tennis vs. GRHS 3:00 PM
- Freshman Football @ Houston Heights 5:00 Heights HS Stadium
- JV Football vs. Houston Heights
- Varsity Swim Meet vs. AHS
Friday, October 16 (B Day)
- On Fridays We Wear Red
- Varsity Tennis @ EHS 3:00 PM
- Volleyball @ EHS 4:30/5:30/6:30 PM
- Varsity Football vs. Houston Heights 7:00 PM Hopson Field House
Normally in the first two weeks of the school year we have some changes as we balance classes and adjust teacher loads, and this re-beginning will be no different. Some students may have a change in the first week or two as we work through the normal process.
Thank you for your continued support and patience.
For the safety of students and others, all students and staff are required to wear a face covering (cloth or disposable, that fully covers their nose and mouth) throughout the day.
We understand that it is not possible for children to wear a face covering at all times, particularly when they are eating or drinking, and other protective measures will be used during these times.
We ask that you speak to your students about wearing their facial covering for an extended period of time, as well as following safety guidelines including social distancing and frequent handwashing. Please also monitor your child’s health for the presence of any symptoms of COVID-19, particularly if you think they have been exposed.
Note: Per CDC guidelines, a face shield can be worn in addition to a face covering, but not in place of a face covering.
Student Daily Wellness Screening
Each morning, a District staff member will conduct no-contact temperature checks for all students and staff entering the building.
Parents will also be required to complete a daily pre-screen questionnaire, found on Skyward Family Access, for each student prior to 6:45 a.m. for high school students.
Parents are required to complete the Daily Wellness Screening before the student reports to school each morning to ensure a faster check-in process. This form must be filled out each morning, and cannot be completed before midnight.
Wellness Screening Process
Parents can access Skyward Family Access on their home computer, laptop, tablet or mobile device. (The Skyward Family Mobile Access app is available in the following app stores: Apple App Store, Google Play, Amazon and Windows Phone Store.)
- Log in to your account in Skyward Family Access.
- Select “Today’s Screening.”
- Complete the two Wellness Screening questions, and click “Save.” Based on your response for each student, a Wellness Screening Report will appear, with a green circle and a checkmark, indicating that your child is clear to attend school; or, if you’ve indicated symptoms, exposure, or a positive case, the system will provide next steps.
Note: Please be mindful as you submit the wellness screening, as only one submission is accepted each day, and cannot be altered once submitted. Students with cell phones should be prepared to show their results on the app to expedite the wellness screening process.
Student Wellness Charts – Secondary
The Skyward Family Access Daily Wellness Screening must be completed each day. Each student will show verification on his or her cellphone via the Skyward app prior to gaining entry to the campus. For students who do not have a cell phone, the campus will provide a Student Wellness Chart, which must be initialed each day as verification of completion of the Skyward Family Access Daily Wellness Screening.
Student Password Expiration
As the school year progresses, we are noticing some secondary student account passwords are expiring. We noticed many secondary student accounts expired (approx. 18,000) weekend of 9/27. Password expiration is a normal cycle with network accounts.
This new security implementation requires student accounts to change passwords every start of the new school year. As you know, this year’s start of school has been everything but normal. Secondary students are able to manage their own passwords by going to my.fortbendisd.com.
Campus staff is also able to help any students on campus with password problems by visiting the same site. If the student is experiencing issues with logging into 1Link, Skyward, Global Protect VPN, or a district-issued laptop please have them follow instructions provided in the attachment to set up a new password.
Late Sunday (9/27/20) a targeted communication has been sent to Parents/Guardians of students with expired passwords.
F2F Instruction and Student Devices
• All tickets will be sold online only through www.gofan.co and will be $ 4-students /$6-parents.
• Out of district teams – a link will be available with ticket purchasing information from the district Athletic Department.
• Fort Bend ISD teams – a link will be available to parents of game participants (varsity football, marching band, dance team, varsity cheerleaders, color guard and athletic trainers).
• Link will be available to general public to purchase remaining available tickets. Ticket sales will be stop 2 hours before kickoff on gameday.
Email AttendanceTHS@fortbendisd.com if your child is absent
AP Exam Registration
If you are enrolled in an Advanced Placement (AP) course, you will have an opportunity to take the AP Exam and earn college credit. The registration and ordering process will be simpler this year and it is important that students register as soon as possible. You can get your join code and further information from your AP instructor. Please see the document below for registration information and deadlines.
Help Promote School Spirit!
Our Tiger Pride Points system was put in place 3 years ago to help promote school spirit. It is a fun way to support the students’ activities/sports, dress up during spirit days, and provides an extension to an already positive school culture. With this, students can earn prizes based on the points they accumulate throughout the semester. That prize money has to come from somewhere and in the midst of a global pandemic, fundraising to keep such programs going has been a struggle. We typically raise our money on campus; therefore, that poses the question, "How will we make up for not being able to hold many fundraisers the end of Spring 2020 semester, and now into the Fall?" We need your help! Tiger Pride Points support ALL students on campus, not just Scream team. This is simply the donation page/account we use to support all students. This is taking the place of many fundraisers to continue providing rewards and activities all students have the opportunity to earn.
FBISD Child Nutrition continues to offer free breakfast and lunch meals to all students, regardless of their chosen learning model.
As a result of a Texas Department of Agriculture (TDA) waiver, free meals are available to students until December 31, 2020, and FBISD encourages all families to complete the Free/Reduced Meal Application at schoolcafe.com/fbisd.
All students enrolled in face-to-face instruction can receive a free breakfast and lunch meal on their home campus, beginning on the date that their grade-level cohort begins attending. Students who continue with online instruction can pick up one free breakfast and lunch meal at a Grab and Go meal site each school day.
Grab and Go meals are available to all students up to 18 years of age, and all special education students regardless of age.
Grab and Go meals are available for pick up at the following locations:
- Dulles High School (550 Dulles Ave, Sugar Land, 77478)
- Elkins High School (7007 Knights Ct, Missouri City, 77459)
- Hightower High School (3333 Hurricane Ln., Missouri City, 77459)
- Hodges Bend Middle School (16510 Bissonnet St., Houston, 77083)
- Kempner High School (14777 Voss Rd, Sugar Land, 77498)
- McAuliffe Middle School (16650 S Post Oak Rd, Houston, 77053)
- Missouri City Middle School (202 Martin Ln, Missouri City, 77489)
- Ridge Point High School (500 Waters Lake Blvd, Missouri City, 77459)
- Travis High School (11111 Harlem Rd, Richmond, TX 77406)
- Willowridge High School (16301 Chimney Rock Rd., Houston, 77053)
Your contribution will help support periodic Staff specific activities and appreciation events, such as the Welcome-Back breakfast, luncheons, and holiday festivities throughout the year. Gifts and various spirit related items may also be included.
**Donations may be made for any amount -- $10, $20, $50 you choose!
Donations to Travis HS are tax deductible. Please save your receipt for tax purposes.
**Thank you for your generous support!
Questions? Contact: Becky.Martinez@fortbendisd.com
Counselor and Administrator Splits
Dwelvin Oliphant, Lead Counselor
Ladale Webster-Lamb (A-Ch)
Monet Newsome (Ci-Go)
Jeanne Andrews (Gr-La)
Cheryl Clark (Le-Ok)
Brenell Young (Ol-Sh)
Tanya Johnson (Si-Z)
Sarah Laberge, Principal
Adrienne Garcia, Associate Principal
Damien Bassett, Assistant Principal (A-C)
Lisa Long, Assistant Principal (D-I)
Derryk Pope, Assistant Principal (J-M)
Tara Baker, Assistant Principal (N-R)
Erik Smith, Assistant Principal (S-Z)