Lesson 7 VCR
By: Muyan Pan
Fill in the blank with the most appropriate word from lesson 7.
Praiseworthy; deserving reward or esteem.
Root of the word
Connection: Merit is a special quality or achievement that deserves praising.
Top 10 achievements in American History
9. Cell Phones in 1973; this made communication easier since you don't have to write letters anymore.
8. Machine Guns in the 1860; this allowed advanced warfare, made the killing of people easier.
7. Panama Canal in 1914; created easier route between the Atlantic and Pacific Ocean, cut weeks off of the trip time.
6. Submarine in 1900; created advanced marine warfare, also allows the human kind to explore the ecosystem underwater, which contain millions of unknown species.
5. Transocean communication cable in 1858; Communication between Europe and America that took 10 days could now be done in hours.
4. First Nuclear Reactor in 1942; alternative energy source that is very "safe" and relatively clean, replaces the burning of fossil fuels.
3. Model T Ford in 1908; created cars, made traveling easier, without them, you have to walk to school.
2. First Airplane 1903; made traveling across oceans way faster when compared to boats, improved transportation.
1. Neil Armstrong 1969; first man on the moon, won US the Cold War.
Choose the sentence in which the word in bold in used incorrectly.
B. John was given a medal of honor because during the war, he fought very meritorious.
C. Max ran a meritorious four minute mile which landed him a starting spot on the track team.
D. After failing five tests in a row in Calculus, Alexander scored a 65, which his teacher thought was meritorious.