Conrad November Update
November 1st, 2022
Upcoming Reminders and Events
We have had such a great year so far and the time has flown by! Our students continue to grow and are learning so many new and fun activities. At the end of October, we wrapped up our first unit on "Trees". The teachers and students had so many fun and engaging activities throughout the study! Our next unit is "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle", so be looking for more information from the classroom teachers. If you do not already, please follow our Facebook page to see updates and activities around our school. Remember, on the first of each month, the students switch playgrounds! If you were picking up on the west playground in October, you will now pickup on the east playground and vice versa! (Look for your classroom teachers and signs). While the weather is ever changing, there may be indoor recess. If you do not see your child's class outside at pick-up, you will sign them out at their drop-off doors. Please remember to send coats and winter weather items for your child in case we are outside and it is chilly!
A few other reminders:
Siblings or children not enrolled as a student at Conrad:
Siblings and other children are NOT allowed to visit the classrooms during regular school day sessions due to licensing regulations, ratios, potential health concerns, and disruptions to the classroom environment. Please note that this includes the following situations: birthday celebrations, holiday events during the school day, volunteer activities, etc. Additionally, this is relevant for unenrolled children of all ages - including infants and children in strollers/carriers.
Siblings are welcome to attend outdoor events during the school day (field day, etc.), as well as after-school events such as Family Nights.
To ensure safety of all students, staff, and families: please, no dogs on school property during pick up/drop off times. Remember to use the crosswalks and keep your child close to you in the parking lots.
From the office of Nurse Sheena:
How to Choose the Best Healthy Snacks for Kids
Here are a few tips to keep in mind when buying healthy store-bought snacks for kids. These tips came from https://www.yummytoddlerfood.com/healthy-snacks-for-kids/.
1. Look for a minimal amount of added sugars. Many labels have this separated out and lower is better. For a snack like a bar, aim for no more than 5-8 grams. There are many great options that rely on fruit for sweetness.
2. Look at the first three ingredients. If the first three ingredients are things like whole grains, fruits and vegetables, that is a great sign.
3. Choose whole grain products when possible. These will be more filling with their higher fiber content, which may help keep kids more satisfied until their next meal.
4. Look for reduced sodium options, especially with foods that aren't specifically for kids such as tricuits. It’s okay to have some sodium and you don’t need to coung, but if you have the option, choose the “reduced-sodium” option.
5. Look at the serving size so you’re understanding the context of the nutrition label. Remember that portion sizes are not one size fits all and hunger and appetite are the best guides for how much food kids need.
1. Fresh Fruit-
2. Fruit Cups
3. Cheese crisps
4. Apple Sauce
5. Freeze-dried fruit or dried fruit (like raisins)
6. Cheese sticks or snack cheeses
Reminder, we visit the library on Wednesday's. Students have an opportunity to listen to stories, as well as check out library books for the week! If you would like to be a Wednesday library volunteer, please visit our website under the PTO tab. You can sign up for any amount of time; it does not need to be an entire day commitment. Books are due back on the following Tuesday.
We will be hosting the D8 Community Food drive from November 1st-10th. Conrad will be collecting boxed potatoes this year. Please send items in with your child during these dates.
We are beginning our Creative Curriculum unit on "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle". Each unit runs for approximately 6 weeks. Please encourage your child to tell you what they are learning about our environment, and make those connections at home too! Here at Conrad, we all believe in each and every student. Please, reach out if you have any questions in regards to the upcoming events!
In Service of All,
November at a glance
- Playground Switch Starts for November!
November 1st-10th: D8 Community Food Drive (boxed potatoes)
November 3rd: PTO meeting 8:30-9:30am
November 4th: Fall Photo Retakes
November 10th: Spirit day WEAR CAMO
November 11th: Veteran's Day- NO SCHOOL, district closed
November 17th: Family Forum event (more info to follow)
November 21st-25th- Thanksgiving Break- NO SCHOOL