P.S. 188Q Weekly Newsletter
Week of March 13th to March 17th
A Few Updates:
- Thank you for meeting with your child's teacher for Parent Teacher Conferences.
- We look forward to welcoming families to visit P.S. 188Q. Please see the change to only one parent per student due to space limitations. We will have additional times for families to come in to the building in the future.
- Mrs. Hollis will be having an in-person parent workshop on "Fostering Personal Responsibility and Inclusiveness in Our Children" on Friday, March 17th @ 9:00 a.m. in the Library. See flyer below for details.
- March PTA meeting is Thursday, March 16th at 7:00 p.m. via Zoom. We hope to see you there!
- 5th grade Dancing Classrooms in-person performance will be March 16th at 9:00 a.m.
- 4th grade Dancing Classrooms in-person performance will be March 21st at 9:00 a.m.
- All family members can volunteer to help with lunch and recess at the Main building and the Annex. You can contact Dr. Tobing-Puente if you are interested at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up.
Follow our PTA on Instagram:
PS188Q PTA (@ps188qpta) • Instagram photos and videos
Feel free to reach out to any of us if you have any questions:
Mrs. Perez-Fung- Parent Coordinator email@example.com
Mrs. Nartowicz- Assistant Principal firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mrs. Figueroa- Principal email@example.com
Follow the PTA on Instagram!
We had a great Civics Week! Check out our photos from the week!
Mrs. Figueroa and Mrs. Nartowicz read Click, Clack Moo Cows That Type to help the students learn about making their voice heard!
PreK to 5th grade students voted for their own participatory budget idea they want to see in the school. The choices were hallway murals or recess equipment! They made their voices heard!
NYC School Survey
hank you to the families who have already filled out the survey. As of today, Friday, March 10h, only 38% of our families have filled out the survey. The survey period ends on Friday, March 31st. Please take a moment to complete the survey. It is important because it gives us a snapshot of how we are doing. For more information please follow this link www.nycschoolsurvey.org.
If you are unable to find the paper survey, please follow the link below to take the survey. All you need is your child’s 9-digit OSIS (Student Identification Number) number. When asked for the access number, enter a lowercase “f” followed by their child’s nine-digit OSIS number (see example below). This will bring you to the survey.
Take the 2021-2022 NYC School Survey NOW!(Open external link)
OSIS (ID): f123456789 (example)
A paper copy along with a self-addressed stamped envelope was sent home on Monday, February 13th for families who would prefer to fil out a paper copy. If you choose to fill out the survey online you do not need to fill out the paper copy. Please be reminded, if you have multiple children, you will need to fill out a survey for each child.
Thank you in advance for helping us to better our school.
Open School Week
We are so excited to be able to offer an Open School Week to all our families. Below is the schedule and guidelines for visiting classrooms during instructional time. We are asking for only one parent per child attend this first Open School Week. We want to give every child an opportunity to have their parent attend this event and many parents have expressed interest in attending. We will have another opportunity for families to visit the classroom in May. As soon as we have those dates we will get them out to families. Please be reminded of the guidelines below.
- There is limited space in the classrooms and to give every family a chance to attend, only 1 visitor per child.
- Do not bring children who do not attend PS188Q. Please leave younger siblings at home.
- Please be reminded there is no photograph or video tape during your visit to the classroom. We have many children who are not permitted to be photographed throughout the school. Please honor their parents’ wishes and do not photograph the children. Thank you.
- Open School takes place during instructional time. Please do not participate in the lesson or interact with your child unless invited too by the teacher. Teachers will have areas where families can stand and quietly view the lesson.
- Restrooms - Please do not use the student bathrooms. They are strictly for students. Adult bathrooms are located on the main floor by the auditorium.
At the end of the hour, families proceed to the main entrance to exit the building. Please do not leave through any other door or walk around the building. This is a regular instructional school day for children and families walking around the building will be disruptive during instructional time. Only the main entrance is not alarmed. All other exits are alarmed and the alarm will sound if you use that door.
Teachers and Writers Collaborative Poem
PTA Empower Our Children Campaign Needs Your Donations--Check Out Attached Flyer
District 26 Parent Workshops
- March 13th to March 17th Open School Week---see flyer above
- March 13th: 3rd and 5th Grade Open School Week 8:45-9:45 a.m.--one family member per student.
- March 14th: 1st and 2nd Grade Open School Week 8:45-9:45 a.m.--one family member per student; Parent DEI @ 9:30 a.m. via Zoom
- March 15th: Spring Picture Day
- March 16th: 4th Grade Open School Week 8:45-9:45 a.m.--one family member per student; 5th grade Dancing Classrooms💃🕺 performance @ 9 a.m.; Doodle4google entries due; PTA meeting via Zoom @ 7:00 p.m.
- March 17th: PreK and Kindergarten Open School Week 8:45-9:45 a.m.--one family member per student; Parent Workshop "Personal Responsibility and Fostering Inclusiveness" with Mrs. Hollis @ 9:00 a.m.
- March 20th: K-2 Virtual STEM night--more information to follow
- March 21st: 4th grade Dancing Classrooms performance @ 9 a.m. 💃🕺
- March 23rd: Basketball away game P.S. 188Q vs P.S. 205; 1-102 Trip to Cunningham Park; Report Cards released via NYCSA
- March 24th: Principal for a Day; Coffee and Conversations 9:30 a.m. in-person
- March 27th and 28th: PTA Sponsored Planetarium in gymnasium
- March 30th: 1-119 Trip to Cunningham Park; Basketball home game P.S. 205 vs P.S. 188; P.S. 188Q Blooms Parent-Child workshop 4:00-6:00 p.m. at Main Building
- March 31st: Graduation Committee Meeting 8:10 a.m. in student cafeteria; Last day of NYC School Survey
- April 3rd: PreK and Kindergarten Book of the Month assembly---wear your P.S. 188Q trip shirt
- April 4th: Safety Meeting @ 7:30 a.m.; SLT Meeting 6:30 p.m. via Zoom
- April 6th to April 16th: Spring Recess
- April 17th: Return to school
- April 18th: Parent DEI Meeting 9:30 a.m. via Zoom
- April 19th: NYS ELA Test Grades 3-5; 2-202 to Queens Farm; PTA Meeting via Zoom
- April 20th NYS ELA Test Grades 3-5
- April 21st: No School Eid-al-Fitr
- April 22nd: Earth Day🌎
- April 23rd: PTA Sponsored Clothing Donation in Main playground
- April 24th: PreK B8 Queens Farm in classroom visit
- April 25th: 2-204 trip to Queens Farm; PreK B9 Queens Farm in classroom visit
- April 26th: Administrative Assistant's Day; 2-203 trip to Queens Farm
- April 27th: Take Your Child to Work Day
- May 2nd: NYS Math test Grades 3-5
- May 3rd: NYS Math test Grades 3-5; SLT 6:30 p.m. via Zoom
- Math 5th: Safety Meeting via Zoom @ 7:30 a.m.