Special Education Teacher Training
FOR NEW SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHERS
NEWLY-ADDED Foundations of Practice Training Option!
Day 1: Wednesday, September 27th, 2023
Day 2: Thursday, September 28th, 2023
Both days of learning are highly suggested. Please see the course & registration details below for more information.
This training for new special education teachers is a learning package that was developed through a partnership between the Iowa Department of Education and Area Education Agencies with the objective of providing consistent, statewide training. This learning is being delivered statewide through all 9 AEAs.
This is not the same class that special education teachers received for the ACHIEVE launch in 2022. Though there are similarities, this learning was specifically designed with new teachers in mind. It includes two full days of face-to-face learning and a short Social-Emotional Behavior webinar for all new special education teachers as well as shorter virtual learning sessions specifically for Preschool and Secondary teachers.
ALL NEW SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHERS - ATTEND DAY 1 AND DAY 2 & VIEW SEB WEBINAR:
Foundations of Practice Day 1 - Choose 1 Date
- Option 1: Wednesday, August 9th (9:00am-3:30pm) OR
- Option 2: Wednesday, August 16th (9:00am-3:30pm) OR
- (NEWLY-ADDED) Option 3: Wednesday, September 27th (9:00am-3:30pm)
Format: Face-to-face in Pocahontas
Foundations of Practice Day 2 - Choose 1 Date
- Option 1: Friday, August 18th (9:00am-3:30pm) OR
- Option 2: Monday, August 21st (9:00am-3:30pm) OR
- (NEWLY-ADDED) Option 3: Thursday, September 28th (9:00am-3:30pm)
Social Emotional Behavior (SEB) Webinar - Able to be viewed anytime asynchronously
- SEB Webinar Link (16 minutes in length)
The following training dates are not suggested for all new teachers, rather, they are suggested based on grade level assignment. Zoom links will be shared upon registration.
PRESCHOOL TEACHERS - ALSO ATTEND A PRESCHOOL DATE:
Preschool - Choose 1 Date
- Option 1: Tuesday, September 19th (1:30pm-4:30pm) OR
- Option 2: Friday, September 22nd (8:00am-11:00am)
SECONDARY TRANSITION TEACHERS (teachers of learners who will turn 14 years of age or older) - ALSO ATTEND A SECONDARY TRANSITION DATE:
Secondary Transition - Choose 1 Date
- Option 1: Wednesday, October 11th (2:30pm-5:30pm) OR
- Option 2: Friday, October 13th (7:30am-10:30am)
Participants also need to bring a computer with a charging cable to the face-to-face trainings.