Union Elementary Weekly Update
September 6, 2019
A Week in Review
Kindergarten students learned about future careers through play, exploration, and guest speakers during Community Helper Day.
Third graders are building their stamina and creativity in writing.
Fourth graders did outdoor clean out on their adopted space of our campus.
September 10-Vision Screenings for Grades 1 and 3
September 11-12- Fourth Grade Field Trip to Camp Tecumseh
September 13- First Grade Grandparents Day
September 14- Dads Club Campout (rain date September 21st)
September 17- PTO Meeting, 7PM in Cafeteria
September 24- Picture Day
September 25- Jog A Thon (Rain Date September 27th)
Week of September 30- Body Safety Lessons grades K-4
October 1- Dads Club Meeting, 7PM in Teachers' Lounge
October 4- PTO Movie Night, 6:15 in Cafeteria
Week of October 7- Fire Safety Lessons grades PK-2
October 9- End of First Quarter
October 10- Second Grade Field Trip to Conner Prairie
October 11- Fall Classroom Parties
October 14-18- Fall Break
November 14- Elementary Conferences (E-day for students)
Mark your calendar! The very first PTO Meeting is Wednesday, September 17 at 7pm in the Union Café. Childcare will be provided and really, do you need another reason to attend?
JOG A THON
Jog A Thon will be here before you know it, but don't worry...you still have over two weeks to help your Union Star secure pledges. Kids an ask grandparents, aunts, uncles, neighbors and friends to donate to our school. And, its easier than ever with an online payment option.
Over two weeks is plenty of time to raise money, but you'll want to jump on these volunteer spots while there are still some left!
Our first big event of the 2019-2020 school year is the Dads Club campout. The event will be held on September 14, 2019 (rain date September 21, 2019). Volunteers are needed to make the event a success. Please consider donating some time to grill hot dogs, roast marshmallows, etc. You can sign up to volunteer at https://signup.com/client/invitation2/secure/2915374/false#/invitation
Think First and Stay Safe Body Safety Lessons for K-4 Students
Textbook Rental Fees
Elementary school textbook rental and book fees for 2019-2020 school year are due Sept 15th. Make checks payable to ZCS and place in an envelope marked Front Office. Please contact Mrs. Grissom with any questions concerning your balance owed 733-4007.
Kindy Fees $92.18
First Grade $124.46
Second Grade $129.27
Third Grade $162.83
Fourth Grade $143.60
Additionally, you have the option to pay by credit card or electronic check by accessing SchoolPay https://zcs.schoolpay.com additional fee applies.
Criminal Background Checks for Volunteers
We value partnerships with our families and welcome parents and guardians to serve as volunteers in our schools. Each ZCS building offers a wide variety of volunteer opportunities.
- Field Trip Chaperones
- Out of Town/Overnight Chaperones
- Volunteer Coaches
- Classroom Helpers (PTO parties/room parents)
- Library Helpers
- After Prom Workers
- Field Day/Jog-A-Thon Volunteers
- Book Fair Sales/Athletic Ticket Sales
During the school day, all volunteers are expected to sign in at the front office. Prior to the volunteer opportunity, all volunteers must sign a Non-disclosure Acknowledgement Form and have successfully completed a Full Criminal History Background Check. Necessary background check paperwork is available on the ZCS website at the Volunteers/BRAVO link and should be submitted at least 10 days prior to the intended volunteer date. Volunteers must also view the state mandated confidentiality/bullying video, provided on the Volunteer/BRAVO website. The volunteer will pay the fee* for the full background check which will expire after 5 years. The link to apply for the full background check can be accessed on the Volunteers/BRAVO link on the ZCS main webpage. For more information, contact the Volunteer/BRAVO Coordinator.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS FOR VISITORS
During the school day, all visitors must enter via the front door and sign-in at the front office. Visitors need to be prepared to present a government issued photo ID which will be scanned against the National Sex Offender Registry. All visitors will be issued a visitor badge/tag to be worn inside the building at all times.
- Lunch Guests
- Classroom Guest Speakers
- Classroom Special Events (Grandparent Day/Famous Hoosiers/etc.)
- Parent/Teacher Conferences
We ask that all visitors schedule an appointment to meet with teachers, counselors, administrators and all other staff members so that we may best serve everyone. Visitors other than parents/guardians must be prearranged and organized through the main office.
*ZCS thanks all volunteers for generous support of our youth and schools. Thank you, too, for supporting assurance of student and staff safety by completing and paying for a volunteer background check
Union Elementary School
Third and Fourth Grade Career Exploration
WHY Career Day?
- Career exploration and planning begins early!
- Career Day exposes students to new and interesting careers.
- Career Day helps students become aware of their interests and abilities.
- Career Day helps students understand the connection between their academic achievement and future career success.
- Career Day helps students begin planning NOW for a successful future!
How Do I Volunteer for Career Day?
1. Be available from 12:45-2:00pm on Thursday, September 26.
2. Prepare to lead 4 identical Career Day sessions with 3rd-4th grade students about your career! A different group of students will attend each session. (A staff member will be in the room with you at all times.)
3. Each session lasts 15 minutes. (Total of 4 sessions.) Bring props, visuals, pictures, or other interesting items that relate to your career. Be sure to allow a few minutes for questions.
4. A Background Check is not required; however, speakers must present valid ID.
5. To sign up use the link below by Friday, September 13th to indicate your interest in volunteering for Career Day! https://forms.gle/rczHwFrLw4S5K6Qf6
Do You Have Questions about Career Day? If you have any additional questions, please contact Sara Martini at email@example.com