October 8, 2018
Bullying: Now What?
We need to continue our conversation. What exactly again is bullying? It is unwanted or aggressive behavior that is repeated in an unfair match. It encompasses many behaviors: physical aggression, fear, ridicule, embarrassment, isolation, social exclusion, and many other hurtful behaviors. So why are we talking about it now?
It hurts. It hurts the target. It hurts the bystanders - those that witness it but do not actively participate and are not the target. It hurts the bully and those who follow the bully. It hurts emotionally, psychologically, physically, and socially. And it’s time we quit letting our peers get hurt.
Your teacher will show a short video clip in homeroom today. Discuss the following:
-Does this happen here at SMS?
-What do you think the kids in the video were thinking and feeling?
-How did it end?
See something - say something. Stand up. Report. Be kind.
2:55 PM Friday
1) Our first grading period ends.
- Report cards will be available online on Tuesday, October 23rd. Printed report cards will be available at during our conference sessions on October 23rd and 25th.
- We'll begin our new grading period on Monday, October 22nd. Student schedules will not change.
2) Fall break begins.
- School will be out Monday, Oct. 15th to Friday, Oct. 19th.
- The office will be closed during break.
Student-Led Conferences: What STUDENTS do!
1) Show up and bring your iPad. YOU are an integral part of conferences so YOU need to be in attendance with your adult(s).
2) Sign in at the door and take your adult(s) to the team area.
If you have an appointment (between 3:30 and 5:00 either conference night),
3) Sit with your teachers and your adult and participate in their discussion.
4) After the teacher conference, share your accountability worksheet and show your adult at least three work samples that demonstrate what you are learning.
5) Report to the office if you want a printed copy of your report card.
If you come during the drop-in time (between 5:00 and 6:30 either conference night),
3) PIck up your accountability worksheet and your NWEA report from your HR teacher.
4) Explain your accountability worksheet and show at least three work samples with your adult.
5) Go to the hall to get any teacher that your adult wants to see.
6) Report to the office if you want a printed copy of your report card.
Please talk with your family about your plan for conferences. Do you have an appointment or do you want to visit during the drop-in sessions? Which night do you plan to attend? Thanks for making your arrangements now!
PARENTS/GUARDIANS: Teams have scheduled appointments with families most in need, but some appointment slots remain. If you would like a scheduled date/time, please call SMS at 752-8926 this week. We'll schedule you until all slots are filled. Once slots are filled, parents and guardians are encouraged to visit during the drop-in sessions!
Dodgeball Tourney Tuesday
TEAMS should report (in uniform) to the west gym at 3:10. Instructions will be shared.
SPECTATOR students should report to the main hall waiting area until ticketing opens at 3:20.
SPECTATOR adults can park in the athletic lot and purchase tickets at 3:20.
The event will take place in both gyms and should conclude around 6:00 PM. All proceeds go to the SMS athletic uniform replacement fund. Thanks in advance to our teachers and coaches for working at the game, as well as to the Builders' Club for running the refreshment stand.
Basketball and Cheer Tryouts>>> ONE MORE TIME!!
8th Girls BB: Mon-Wed, Oct. 22-24, 6:30-8 PM, West Gym
8th Boys BB: Mon-Wed, Oct. 22-24, 5-6:30 PM, West Gym
7th Girls BB: Mon-Wed, Oct. 22-24, 5-6:30 PM, East Gym
7th Boys BB: Mon-Wed, Oct. 22-24, 3:00-5:00 PM, West Gym
6th Girls BB: Mon-Wed, Oct. 22-24, 6:30-8:00 PM, East Gym
6th Boys BB: Mon-Wed, Oct. 22-24, 3:00-5:00 PM, East Gym
6-7-8 Cheer: Mon. Oct. 22 and Wed. Oct. 24, 5:30-7 PM, Great Room
See Mr. Smith if you have any questions and sign up on the Canvas Community page if you plan to tryout! Good luck to all.
Mon. Oct. 8: B day, SADD lunches, Bot Warriors, Builders' Club
Tue. Oct. 9: A day, Drama, Spell Bowl, Dodgeball Tourney (3:30-6:00)
Wed. Oct. 10: B day, Cross 7:45am
Thu. Oct. 11: A day, Spell Bowl, Drama
Fri. Oct. 12: B day, 6th Grade Career Day