Second Grade Rock Stars
Miss Spider's Tea Party
No tea party is complete without some tea and snacks!
Add a little bit of dry ice and tea can be exciting!
Spinning Our Webs
Making our Glow in the Dark Spider Webs with glow powder and glue!
Our Highlights: What We've Been Rockin' At!
We loved attending Miss Spider's Tea Party! We made spider snacks, drank tea, made glow in the dark spider webs, found our fortune, and even made and took home our Spider Door Stoppers. A special thanks to all of those that donated and especially to those volunteers who came in to made this day memorable! A HUGE thank you also goes out to Colleen Stephens, Our Party Planner, for creating, organizing, and executing this fun Fall Party!
We have been working on "Showing" in our writing by using great descriptions with the use of sensory details and action verbs. Students have been taking telling sentences, like (He was angry.) and rewriting them to turn them into showing/describing sentences (such as: His face was a deep scarlet red color and he looked as though he might explode. He stomped his feet so hard that the ground shook as his eyes bulged jumped almost out of his head.) Students are currently making their "Monster Descriptions" by turning the monster tell sentence into Monster Showing sentences (then they draw their monsters. Students are also working on revising their drafts in Writing Workshop to have "show" sentences instead of "tell" sentences. They are doing fantastic!
We have been looking at fiction and non-fiction books to pull out information about spiders. So far, students have done great at pulling out true spider facts (even out of fictional stories). We will be writing about spiders focusing on a main topic, fantastic details, and a clear and concise closing sentence (These will be accompanied by the glow spider webs.) Ask your child one fact that they remember about spiders.
Last year, we learned about Pirate Mark and he even came and visited us. This year, we've learned about Super-Duper R and the other Super Heroes to help us spell these words! Check them out below!
He can attach himself to a vowel and change the sound!
The Super Three
Arthur, Kirk, and Dexter have special super powers based on their sound of their name.
Parker: Super Hero
Check out what Parker can do!
Rockin' and Rollin' into Next Week!
Reading: Fractured Fairytales, comparing and contrasting two stories
Writing: Drafting and Revising: showing not telling, main topic and details
Conventions: Quotation Marks and Commas
Social Studies: Events That Make a Difference
Science: Finishing up Spiders
Life Trait: 7 Habits to a Happy Kid:#1 Be Proactive- I'm in Charge of Me
Next on tour: Upcoming Events
- 11/4- High School Parent Information Night (PW Campus)
- 11/5- Olympic Triathlon
- 11/6- Strategic Planning Meeting Part 2 at 5:30pm-8:00pm (NUSD Service Center)
- 11/11- No School - Veteran's Day
- 11/12- Our First Field Trip! To Lawrence Hall of Science in Berkeley (Students get back to campus around 4pm!)
- 11/12- WAVE Meeting 6:30pm (Del Paso Campus)
- 11/14- WCS Board Meeting 6:30pm (Del Paso Campus)
- 11/15- End of 1st Trimester
"If you can dream it, you can do it!" -Walt Disney
- Books were sent home this Friday in their Book Bags! These books were picked by me based on the student's level and interest. I picked that book or those books because I think your child might like it/them. They may read them as part of their nightly reading if they so choose. Their is no requirement that they read this book over another book, but based on the current reading logs and sentences, I have noticed many students not reading good fit books. Students can return them on Friday or whenever they finish them and want them switched out. These books are from our class library, so please be responsible with them!
- The Family History/Ancestor Doll Project were sent home on Friday. We have assigned time in the homework packet for your child to work on it. Please begin working on it this week. Learning to have time management over a project is a crucial part of becoming a responsible student- this is a great chance to help them develop that much need skill with this project! If you did not receive one of these papers, please let me know ASAP!
- If you are having trouble logging into IXL or your computer is down, please contact me immediately! I am happy to help your child by ripping out the hard copy or letting them come in early or stay late to do it, but cannot help them if you tell me on Friday when the IXL Homework is due. Unfortunately, a detention will be handed out if your child does not complete their homework.
Question of the Week
*Make sure you have the quotation marks in the right spot!