Independent Study Updates
October 26th, 2017
Dear Students and Parents,
The Holiday Season is approaching. Please note the holiday information at the end of this newsletter so you are aware of upcoming school and college closure dates. We are well into the second quarter of the semester. Students should be especially cognizant of due dates for assignments and work diligently to keep up with their coursework.
I am immensely appreciative of the caring, compassionate, friendly, and supportive students in Independent Study. Without exception, students demonstrate respect and concern for one another. I am so blessed to work with such amazing students.
Community College Courses
- The last day to drop a class with a W on your college transcript is November 15th, 2017. If you are struggling in a class, please let me know. And, make an appointment with your professor and/or get help in the Stem Center.
- Finals week for the fall semester is December 10th- December 16th, 2017
- Final Grades will post in Websmart beginning January 3rd, 2018.
- Please make sure you have paid all fees- including lab and online textbook fees. You can check your Websmart account to make sure you do not have outstanding fees. You won't be able to register for Spring semester classes if you have outstanding fees due!
- Spring semester classes begin on January 16th, 2018
- Spring semester schedules are available in our classroom. Students can also view available classes on webschedule (https://webschedule.smccd.edu/). You can see a brief description of a course by selecting the course and clicking on the course name. Students can search for classes at Canada, College of San Mateo and Skyline college on this link.
- Students who intend to take a community college class in the spring must complete the College Connections Concurrent Enrollment form. These forms are available in our classroom. Parent signature is required. This form must be filled out every semester.
- Concurrently enrolled students can register for classes on November 14th. Please submit the College Connection form to me at least one week before this date, as it takes time to process the form. Classes fill up, so it is best to turn in the form on time. Now is a good time! :)
- If you will be taking a community college course for the first time, you must first apply to the college. See this link: http://canadacollege.edu/admissions/apply.php. Read the information, and scroll down to the online application. Choose your home school as your school and indicate that you are a concurrently enrolled high school student on the application. You will receive several emails from the college once your application is accepted. Two will contain important information about a new smccd email account and one will provide you with your G #, which is your college ID.
- Please talk to me if you have questions about any of this information.
Math Jam Dates
Students who intend to take a math or science community college class in the spring semester can improve their math skills through participation in Math Jam. Math Jam is a free one week intensive math program. Students who participate typically skip one full semester of a college math class, (which, in most cases is equivalent to a year of high school math.
Canada College Math Jam dates are January 8th through January 12th, 2018. Students can register online soon. The program is offered from 9:00 AM- 3:00 PM or from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM.
Read more on this link: https://canadacollege.edu/jam/mathjam.php
Independent Study Classroom Math Tutor
Seniors and Senior Parents
- Please complete the FAFSA if you haven't yet done so.
- Make sure you are staying on top of all of the deadlines and requirements for your college applications if you are applying to 4 year colleges. The College and Career Center at your home school is a great resource if you need help. Additionally, you can find helpful information on your home school College and Career Center webpage.
- Remember, it is your responsibility to stay informed about senior activities- including graduation at your home school if you plan to participate. Please read the emails you receive from your home school. Additional information is available on your home school website.
- Parents -you can also read information about graduation on home school websites.
- We will begin planning our ISP graduation ceremony in January.
Upcoming Holidays/ Classroom Closures
- Monday, October 30th- The SQHS counselors are coming to our classroom to meet with students and learn about Independent Study.
- Tuesday, October 31st- The Director of Student Services (my supervisor), for the SUHSD is coming to our classroom to meet with students and learn about Independent Study. He will be here around 1:30 PM.
- Friday, November 2nd- The classroom will be closed all day as the Independent Study teachers are visiting another Independent Study program.
- Thursday, November 8th- The classroom will be closed as my father is having surgery and I will be with him at the hospital.
- Thursday, November 9th- Classroom closed until 12:00. I have a meeting.
- Friday, November 10th- Veteran's Day - Classroom and Canada closed
- November 22nd- November 24th Thanksgiving Holiday for SUHSD. Classroom closed.
- November 23rd-24th Thanksgiving Holiday for college classes.
- December 10th-16th- Finals week for community college classes.
- December 16th- January 15th- Winter Recess for community college
- December 22nd-January 9th- Winter break and Professional Development days for SUHSD. The classroom will be closed.
- January 10th-First day of school for ISP and SUHSD classes.
- January 16th- First day of classes for spring semester community college courses.
Please note: On the days when the classroom is closed, I will reschedule individual students meetings for another date prior to the closure, unless it is due to a holiday. In this case, students will be given a two week assignment sheet. The library and learning center will be open for students who are enrolled in college courses to work on assignments (Building 9 2nd and 3rd floors).