WHAT'S THE BUZZ IN 2ND GRADE?
Mrs. Kesler's 2nd Grade Class Newsletter
Saturday, October 10, 2015 - General News
Happy Columbus Day weekend!
- We have no school on Monday, October 12th, in recognition of Columbus Day.
- This week we are beginning our Sink or Float Science unit. Please be sure to check your child's folder, I have sent home a note about an at home Science project.
- Thank you for all who have signed up for Fall conferences! If you still need to sign up, please contact me for open times.
- The Cosley Zoo "at school" field trip was a great success! The children were able to observe a black rat snake, a box turtle, and a blue tongue skink lizard. The students were engaged in learning while being able to feel a snake's shedded skin, see a snake's skeleton, see previously occupied snake eggs, and feel a turtles shell. The students were excited to apply their new knowledge to their reptile research!
- Spelling lists went home on Friday for List #7. Our test will be on Thursday, October 15th.
- Book Fair begins on Monday, October 13th and ends October 19th.
- PTA meeting is on Thursday, October 15th! If you haven't joined, it's a great way to be a part of your child's school community!
Below are some wonderful web based resources (educational games) for your child.
Also, check out our 2nd Grade Google page, where you can find what we're doing in class (curriculum), homework, MORE pictures and what's coming up! Check them out!!
No School - Columbus Day
P.E. & Music
Spelling Test and new spelling list to be sent home.
If you have questions or concerns, I can be reached either by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone at 630/375-3544. If you do not hear back from me right away, please know that I will do my best to get back to you as soon as possible (this may be after school). If there is an emergency, please call the school office.
Have a marvelous weekend!
Thursday, Nov. 5th, 4:30pm to Wednesday, Nov. 11th, 8pm
995 Long Grove Drive
Week 7 &8 Spelling Lists
List #7: under, sky, city, just, does
List #8 (which will be going home 10/15): start, week, door, any, both
English and Language Arts (ELA)
For reading the last two weeks, we focused on nonfiction texts about reptiles. The students were very excited to begin researching reptiles (either turtles, snakes, alligators, crocodiles, or lizards). Ask your child what they are researching and what they can tell you about the animal they are learning about. The "at school" field trip with Cosley Zoo really reinforced what your children are researching.
This week we began MERGE, which stands for Multiple Enrichment and Reading Groups for Everyone. Therefore, all students will be in a Guided Reading group that supports their reading level, at the same time.
The students are building great stamina while reading to self. They have also been practicing buddy reading.
Last week the children learned the difference between plural (adding s, or es to a word) and singular nouns. We reviewed prefixes re-, un-, and dis- this week. We also reviewed short vowels. Have your child tell you the short vowel sounds and have them explain why the short vowel sounds are happy. :-)
For writing we continued discussing how to write a paragraph. Ask your child what parts make up a paragraph (Introduction or opening sentence, at least 3 details, and a closing sentence). The students also began note taking on their reptile research.
Prefix Quiz, Quiz, Trade
Addition Domino Top-It
Reflections of a 2nd Grader
1. Jose: “I achieved my target which was to use +10, -10, +1, -1 to subtract. I also used my "self-talk" to focus.”
2. Josh: “I used my self-talk to focus and I tried to get 10 Points.”
3. Keira: “I learned about +10, -10, and reptiles. My goal was to listen with my ears, eyes, and brain. I achieved my goal.”
4. Laly: “I learned +10, -10, +1, -1. I was surprised when I got to vote for board/card games!”
5. Emma: “I My target was to use my self-talk. The best thing I learned about was counting by tens. I want to work on focusing on the teacher.”
6. Ishmaiah: “My goal was to get more points. I learned about what a good person does and plural nouns.”
7. Aleena: “I learned Math strategies. I was surprised that we actually filled the fuzzy jar!”
8. Diana: “We learned about +10, -10, +1, -1, counting backwards by 10s and about the vowels a, e, i, o, and u.”
9. Davier: “My goal was to focus and use self-talk. The best thing I learned this week was writing.”
10. Jermaine: “The best thing I learned was +10, -10.”
11. Mallory: “My goal was to use my self-talk. I did okay. I learned +10, -10 and more about tens and ones. What surprised me was that we filled the fuzzy jar.”
12. Zion: "I've been listening in Music and PE."
13. Gavin: “I learned about how to be sensitive and how it feels to be left out. I learned about a skink, box turtle, and a black rat snake. I want to work on respecting other people. ”
14. Julian: “I learned to use my self-talk in my head, sight words in Ms. Avilla's room. I want us to do better when we go to Music. I was surprised when we filled our fuzzy jar."
15. Kiara: “My goals and targets were to focus my attention, help others, and be respectful. I liked the new dance in Music! I was happy for our field trip.”
16. Alex: “I used my self-talk to focus on learning.”
17. Fayo: “I learned counting by 10's and 100's. I also learned about +10, -10, +1, -1.”
18. Channuri: “My goal was to be quiet after P.E. and Music and I am. My goal on 10/8 was to get better at P.E. and I did it! My goal on 10/9 was to partcipate in the class party and I did. I learned how to count backwards. I was surprised that a snake came to school. I want to learn new spelling words.”
19. Jocelyn: “I learned about boa constrictors and chameleons. My goal was to learn.”
20. Logan: “I learned to write better. I was surprised we saw skink (wrote stink). The best thing I learned this week was MERGE!”
21. Aria: “I hit my learning targets of focus and using self-talk. I learned about MERGE this week. I want to work on Math equations. I was surprised because we did gym better than usual.”
22. Noah: “I learned how to add +10 and to count by 100's. I also learned 10 less 10 more. My target was to be respectful. What I want to work on next week is adding hundreds. My goal is to get more fuzzies.”
23. Jazmin: “I learned about making and adding numbers. My target was to be nice - I think I made it. I will do better next week by listening.”
24. Kassidy: “I learned counting by tens. Next week I am going to listen and focus.”