December 18th - December 22nd
Monday, December 18
- Dr. Kick's December Birthdays Lunch
- D39 Board of Education Meeting, MEC, 7:00 pm
Monday, December 25th - Friday, January 5th
- No School--Winter Break
Monday, January 15th
- No School--Martin Luther King Day
Wednesday, January 17th
- D39 Education Foundation Meeting, MEC, 7-8 pm
Thursday, January 18th
- D39 Pass Meeting, Highcrest Middle School, 9:15-10:15 am
Friday, January 19th
- Kindergarten Enrollment Packets available in office for 2018-2019 school year
Dr. Kick's Corner
-Please remember to send your child in winter gear for outside recess. Students go recess if the temperature "feels like" five degrees or higher.
-The monthly Board of Education meeting is Monday, December 18th at 7:00 PM at the MEC. Below are a couple of topics that may be of interest. If you can’t make the meeting, you can view it live or later, either on the District website or on Channel 6. Highlights of the meeting will be emailed and posted online within a day or two.
- Public hearing on the 2017 Levy
- Five-year financial projections
- 2018-19 Draft School Calendar
- Student Fees
-Band and Orchestra Survey - An email went out yesterday with the D39 Band and Orchestra parent survey. Your feedback is important! Take the D39 Band and Orchestra survey HERE. Thank you!!!
-The Big Book Drive sponsored by Wilmette Rotary collected 19,500 library books to be shipped to Catalyst Charter Schools in Marquette Park, Chicago! Thank you for your generosity.
-Have a wonderful New Year!
Are your daughters interested in Girls On the Run (girlsontherun.org)? If so, Harper needs 1 or 2 Third/Fourth Grade Mothers to volunteer to be the Site Coordinator(s). A bunch of parents are interested in volunteering and participating so you will have help (it runs 10 weeks, meeting 2x per week leading up to the run). However, if there is no Site Coordinator, we will miss the 12/30 deadline to enter for the Spring. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested! Side note: this does not fit under the PTO as it is an extracurricular activity.
Does your child have a December Birthday? Don't forget to sign up here for BIRTHDAY BOOKS! Kids love it and it's a great way to donate a new book to our beautiful library!
- Are you collecting Box Tops? Every Box Top is worth $0.10 for Harper. We raised about $250 this fall, but still have another collection at the end of February 2018. If every child at Harper collects and turns in 15 Box Tops, we can reach and potentially surpass our goal of raising $1000 for the school! Please see the attached list of participating products. Keep in mind when clipping that the expiration date must be visible and not expired. There is a collection box in the front entrance of Harper - purchase the product, clip the Box Top, check the expiration date, and turn in to the school. Thank you and keep on clipping!
- A wide variety of after school clubs are coming to Harper in January! Classes include Hip Hop, Minecraft Coding, Dodgeball, Chess Club and many more. Please see the attachment for detailed information on all the classes available. Register on the Wilmette Park District website until January 3rd. Hurry, some classes are already full!
The Green Corner
- Bah humbug to catalogs! You can use a FREE online service to remove yourself from receiving unwanted catalogs if you prefer not to call the companies directly. https://www.catalogchoice.org/
- Need a larger recycling toter? Call Advanced Disposal at 847-272-4145. They will replace your current toter by the following week’s garbage pick up day - at no cost.
This week’s installments came directly from other parents, so please share your suggestions with us--we all benefit! Please email email@example.com. Thank you!
Community Service Drive
- Thanks to all the Harper students and families who collected almost 60 toys for the University of Illinois Hospital Craniofacial holiday party on December 9th. EVERY child with craniofacial differences and EACH sibling received a toy from Santa. For many, this is the only quality gift they receive for the holidays. You all helped put smiles on their faces and touched their lives.
The Harper Community Service Committee
- 1/16--High Touch High Tech visits 1st graders with their Weather or Not program
In our last week of Mindfulness, the children explored their "sixth sense"...Intuition!
Click on the links below to see some activities you can do with your child. Please note that the kindergarten classes had a different lesson, so have a separate take home sheet.
Thank you for your contributions to iGNITE!
Wilmette Park District
- Link to community events:
- Wilmette Park District hosts after school clubs for students at Central, Harper, McKenzie January 9 - March 23. Registration began November 28th
MasterChef Junior is hosting open casting calls in Chicago on January 13th for children ages 8-13.
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Adriane McKnight via the Communication Request Form by Mondays at 9 am. If you do not receive an email response within 24hrs, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your Communication Request Form was received.
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org