Oak Grove News
Weekly Update ~ April 27, 2015
Annual Art Show at Pauly Honda
Hello Oak Grove Community,
Before we approach our second round of PARCC testing, called End of Year (EOY), here are some facts about PARCC (Partnership for Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers) that you may not know:
- PARCC assessments were developed by educators. Classroom teachers from elementary, middle and high schools and educators from universities in Illinois have contributed thousands of hours over the past four years to develop the test that is replacing our previous ISAT (Illinois Standard Achievement Test)
- These tests not only evaluate a student's progress, but will show teachers and parents exactly where a student needs help so they are able to personalize instruction to meet individual student needs.
- PARCC assessments do NOT test rote memorization. Instead, they measure the skills that really matter for college and career success: reasoning, critical thinking, problem solving and writing.
- Technology is changing the way today’s students learn, and it’s crucial that students develop computer skills. That’s why many PARCC assessments are taken on the computer, instead of on paper.
- PARCC assessments are more engaging than traditional standardized tests. The math section contains multi-step problems that ask students to reason through real-world situations. The language arts section asks students to read passages from real texts – fiction and nonfiction – and sometimes watch video or listen to audio.
Additional parent information released by the Illinois PTA, can be found here.
FINE ARTS DAY
On Friday, April 24, Oak Grove School celebrated the arts with its bi-annual Fine Arts Day. All grades experienced multiple workshops and performances during the morning. Performances and workshops were led by professionals in each art form. It was a wonderful day for everyone! Special thanks to the PTO for helping sponsor Fine Arts Day.
This year's sessions were:
LHS - Theater & Orchesis
LHS - Jazz Combo & Chorus
LHS - Watercolor Monoprinting
LHS - Button Making
Live Chalk Artist
NIU Steel Drum Band
DJ's - The Art & Science of Music Mixing
Niles North HS Vocal Jazz Groups
April 27, 2015
A Message from PTO Co-Presidents Joanie Sauers and Julie Goodman:
Lunches This Week
Tuesday, April 28th – Panino
Wednesday, April 29th – Pizza
Thursday, April 30th – Jersey Mike’s – ALL GRADES
Mark your calendar!! The Variety Show will be on Thursday, May 21st. There are 2 shows – 4pm and 7:30pm. Ticket sales will start soon. There is a mandatory kick off meeting for the students in the show (at least one person from each act must attend) after school today, Monday April 27th, from 3:30-4pm in the rubber gym. Thank you to everyone who tried out for the show this year!
If you have any outstanding receipts, please submit them along with the reimbursement form (on the OG website, PTO tab) to Mia Hughes (she has PTO treasurer mail slots in the junior high and elementary offices) by June 1st.
Ice Cream Socials – Thank you!
A big thank you to all the volunteers who helped at this year's ice cream socials. We appreciate you taking the time to help make the socials a delicious success! Thank you to Kelli Kuypers and Kirsten Willis for chairing these wonderful socials!
Book Fair – Thank you!
The BOGO Book Fair was a success! The children were really excited to come to the fair all week. Thank you to all the wonderful volunteers that helped during the fair. Thank you to the committee members, Nikki Krakowski, Jennifer Liu, Becky Rynes, and Cristina Buelow, for the time and energy you put into this event to make it run smoothly. Thank you to Ruby Bennett for chairing this terrific event!!
Student Council News
Canned Food Drive
If you are in 7th grade and are interested in running for an office in student council, please meet this Wednesday in Mrs. Evan's room (108). A brief meeting will be held and a packet will be given out detailing the election along with a permission slip to run. Offices available: President, Vice-President, Treasurer, and Secretary. The meeting will begin at 12:50 and run through the rest of your recess time.