Comparison Between Democrats and Republicans
Republicans: Conservative, promotion of individual rights and justice, limited government, believes in helping the wealthy, fears the government has too much control over corporations.
1836 - 1850 and Election of 1860
- Opposed Banks
- Ideology is slavery, states rights, agrarianism
- Big in the south
- Stephan Douglas opposing any interference of slavery
- John Breckenridge- Pro slavery
Gilded Age and Progressive Era
- Opposed of economic radicalism or reform
- Democrats dominated the House of Representatives
- Woodrow Wilson
- Belived Lassiez Faire was obsolete
- Political parties were singled out as a corrupt, undemocratic, outmoded, and inefficient.
New Deal and World War II
- Advocating expanding social security benefits, minimum wage, public housing, and sponsoring scientific research.
- Split in two branches
- Maintained the traditional power base
- Took big government positions in the federal government
- Associated itself with the civil rights movement and voting rights act
Nixon's New Federalism and Reagan and The "New Right"
- Advocated liberal social issues ( civil rights, reproductive rights, housing)
- Pro choice
- Supported environmental legislation, economic development, and power plants.