Computer Apps Smore
By: Maddie Pratte & Meaghan Martin
1. List the earliest computing device you can find. What year was it invented, who invented it? what was the technology, how has adapted into today’s machines?
2. Find a picture of the following machines; Abacus Binary System
2. (Cont.) Find a picture of the following machines; UNIVAC II
2. (Cont.) Find a picture of the following machines; IBM 701
2. (Cont.) Find a picture of the following machines; GENIAC
3. What role did Texas Instruments play in development of current computer technology?
4. On today’s Date _____________ find an influential event that happened in computer history.
5. What year was the internet made available to the public? What year did E-commerce begin?
6. Research your favorite Website.
Who founded it? Kevin Systrom. When was it created? October 6, 2010.
What does it do? What is its purpose? It allows users to share photos and edit them easily. It is a social media that allows people to interact with one another as well.
Where can you access it? You can access Instagram on the iTunes app store, as well as the Android. It also can be found online.
Does it have a storefront, shopping cart, or any other type of “buy now” feature? It is free on the app store.
7. _______________ founded Microsoft in the year _________, it is now worth $____________.
8. Find a brief bio of Apple’s co-founders (and a picture).
Apple’s Co-founders bio:Steve Jobs- Born February 24, 1955 in San Francisco, California was given up for adoption by his parents, which he did not gain information about until he was 27 years old. He showed interest in electronics at a small age, and his adoptive father, Paul, taught him how to take them apart. This then became a hobby of his. After high school, Jobs attended Reed College for only six months until he dropped out. In 1974 he worked for Atari, but quit in order to find spiritual enlightenment in India. In 1976 at the age of 21 him and Wozniak began to develop the first Apple computer. In 2003 Jobs found out that he had a form of pancreatic cancer, later passing away in 2011 due to it at the age of 56.
9. Find a brief bio of Microsoft’s co-founders (and a picture).
Microsoft Co-founder's bio:
Bill Gates- Born on October 28th, 1955 in Seattle Washington, Gates began his interest in computer programming at the age of 13. At school, he excelled in all his classes, especially math and science, at his exclusive prep school. Allen and Gates met at the Lakeside Prep School, where they became friends and future business partners. At the age of 15, they began their business and created their first computer program. Gates attended Harvard University for law, where he later dropped out. In 1974, Gates joined Allen and began working for Honeywell. And a year later in 1975, they created the software system, Microsoft. The next 40 years for the company were very successful. Microsoft became the world’s largest software company and Gates became on of the richest men in the world with a networth of $79.3 billion.
10. Find a brief bio of Facebook’s co-founders (and a picture).
Facebook Co-Founder's:Mark Zuckerberg- Born May 14, 1984 in White Plains, New York, he was interested in computers at a young age. He used the Atari BASIC computer when he was only 12 years old to create a messaging program called “Zucknet”. He spent time in high school at Phillips Exeter Academy in New Hampshire. He then attended Harvard University, where he created Facebook in his dorm room until June 2004. After dropping out of college his sophomore year, he moved to Palo Alto, California to pursue his Facebook company, which had over one million users. He is now one of the youngest billionaires in the world.
11. Find a brief bio of Twitter’s co-founders (and a picture).
12. What year was the first computer game invented? What was the game?....
13. Find an example of product placement in a modern video game to show the growth of advertising and commerce in the video game genre.
14. Find the ride at Disney World that explores the Past-Present-and Future of technology.
15. How much did the first computer weigh? How much electricity did it use?
16. In May __________, a chess-playing computer called_________ defeated Russian chess grandmaster Garry ____________
17. Plankalkul was a plan in 1940 by Karl Zues to do what?
18. Think of a product and Google search how frequently it is bought online. Find at least 1 statistic or other piece of data that backs this claim up.