Parent Newsletter April 9
Staley High School
Tuesday, April 13
- Junior ACT Day 7:45 a.m. Fieldhouse
- Children's Show Auditions 2:40 - 5:00 p.m.
Wednesday, April 14
- Virtual Learning Day
Thursday, April 15
- Falcon Club Meeting 7:00 p.m. SEC
Friday, April 16
- FCA Meeting 7:00 a.m. SEC
Monday, April 19
- National Honor Society Induction Ceremony 6:30 p.m. Fieldhouse
Saturday, May 1
- Senior Prom 8:00 - 11:00 p.m. Staley High School Fieldhouse
2021-2022 LEADERSHIP CLASS APPLICATIONS
2021-2022 Leadership Class Applications are now available outside of Mrs. Holmes’ room CR 223.
Students that are interested must be a current sophomore or junior and have room in their schedule to add the Leadership class next year.
Applicants must have at least a 3.0, be in good behavioral standings, as well as turn in an essay and signup for an interview by April 14th.
Acceptance into the Leadership class is highly competitive and applicants are chosen on a wide selection process which may include: grades, attendance, StuCo participation, essay and interview responses, teacher recommendations and overall classroom chemistry.
Please see Mrs. Holmes or Mr. Anderson if you have any questions.
Senior Prom will be held at Staley High School on Saturday, May 1st from 8:00-11:00pm. This event is for Seniors only +1 guest.
Tickets are $10 each CASH ONLY and will be available for purchase April 12 - April 30 by the Flex during lunch or in room CR229 the rest of the day. Tickets will not be sold at the door.
If you are bringing a guest that is NOT a Staley student, this Permission Form is required to be filled out and signed by the guest and their school administrator. The form is due by Wednesday, April 28.
It’s time to set our sights on summer!
This message contains information on Summer School this year and options available for our incoming Freshmen and current Freshmen, Sophomore and Junior students. We realize that many parents may have already indicated their interest for in-person or virtual Summer School for the district through PowerSchool Parent Portal.
It is now time to sign up your student for actual Summer School classes.
This summer we are offering first time credit for Health, Personal Finance and PE. These three courses will be virtual offerings through Canvas.
We are also offering credit recovery for students needing to recoup credit for any semester of high school class that they failed (this is not an option for our current 8th graders). These credit recovery classes are taken for pass/fail through our online program, Launch, with an in-person and virtual option. In-person credit recovery classes will occur at New Mark this summer due to construction at Staley. Transportation will be provided to New Mark.
To sign your student up for Summer School, please fill out the following form: Summer School Class Selection Form . The form will take you through the Summer School course selection process. We are asking that you complete this form by Friday, April 16.
If you have any additional questions regarding Summer School, please reach out to your student’s counselor or Staley Assistant Principal, Jessica Hoffecker.
CLASS OF 2021 SENIOR CALENDAR & BULLETIN - UPDATED 4-9-21
In order to assist students and their families as we approach graduation, we wanted to provide a list of dates, times, and senior activities. Please read this list carefully and keep it in a location where you can refer to it often. Also, please note this calendar is tentative and subject to change.
Click on the file below to download.
STALEY JOURNALISM STUDENTS WIN BIG AT STATE COMPETITION
The annual MIPA Journalism Day was held virtually on March 31. Students were invited to attend live breakout Zoom sessions with journalists and professors, and the 2021 MIPA Individual and Overall Awards were announced.
Student journalists competed in State Competition for the 2020-21 school year by submitting their student work entries to judges prior to the J-Day event. These students had a GREAT showing! Award rankings were given on four levels: at the top was All-Missouri, followed by Superior, Excellent and Honorable Mention.
Overall Publications Awards:
- Legacy Yearbook: All-Missouri
- STTV Broadcast Announcements + Video: Superior
- STTV Broadcast Announcements Only: Honorable Mention
2021 Individual Awards:
- STTV: Halle Jones, Human Interest Feature “Falcon Athlete "Tri-s” Something New”
- Legacy: Haley McAtee, Portrait/People package ”Split the Ticket”
- Talon: Rachael Mueller, News Writing “Working the Day Shift”
- Talon: Fallyn Kowalski, Editorial/Op-Ed “Disparity in Treatment of BLM Protesters, Capitol Rioters Shows Need for Change”
- Talon: Landyn Goldberg, Sports Reporting “Sports Make Changes Due to COVID-19”
- Legacy: Selena Escutia, Photography Academic Photo “Lively Experiments"
- Talon: Landyn Goldberg, Sports Photography “Kendrick's Dunk”
- Legacy: Emma Thom, Sports Feature/Reaction Photo “Shocked on the Sidelines”
- Talon: Landyn Goldberg, Student Life/Organization Photo “Clue - Character's Death”
- Legacy: Selena Escutia, Kennedy McGrath and Haley McAtee Overall theme/concept “Undivided”
- Legacy: Selena Escutia, Portrait/People package “It's My Time to Go”
- Legacy: Selena Escutia, Portrait/People package “Eating Like a Local”
- Legacy: Kennedy McGrath, Yearbook Writing “Featured Falcon: Morgan Ferrara”
- Talon: Isabella Dorrington, Newsmagazine Page Design “Nutrition Brownie Batter Shakes Compared”
- Talon: Cassie Ford, News Feature “Equity In The District”
- Legacy: Kennedy McGrath, Sports Photography “Reaching for Victory”
- Legacy: Alex Secaida, Sports Photography “Dunking Through the Defense”
- Talon: Landyn Goldberg, Student Life/Organization Photo “Clue: Gather Round”
- Talon: Landyn Goldberg, Student Life/Organization Photo “Clue: Confrontation”
- STTV: Victor Cascio and Tate Tolander, Human Interest Feature “Scimeca's Deli Marketplace”
- STTV: Victor Cascio and Tate Tolander, Sports Feature Story “Keep on Swinging”
- N2 Sports Staley: Mason Baugh and Jackson Phelps, Podcast Talk Show “The Look-Up: John Holt”
- N2 Sports Staley: Victor Cascio and Jake Ballew Live Sports Broadcast “Oak Park at Staley Boys Basketball”
- Legacy: Selena Escutia, Portrait/People package “Lunch for Two”
- Legacy: Haley McAtee, Academic Photo “Mad Science”
- Talon: Isabella Dorrington, News Photo “Workin The Day Shift”
- Legacy: Selena Escutia, Sports Photography “Chasing the Leaders”
- Legacy: Selena Escutia, Sports Feature/Reaction Photo “Senior Night Celebration”
- Legacy: Haley McAtee, Student Life/Organization Photo “Happy Tears”
- Talon: Bri Tremper, Sports Feature/Reaction Photo “Male Cheerleader Joins Squad”
- Talon: Bri Tremper, Sports Feature/Reaction Photo “Cheering On His Team”
- Talon: Cassandra Ford, Newsmagazine Page Design “Current Events Affect Education Tactics”
- Talon: Landyn Goldberg, Sports Reporting “Boys Basketball Goes For Back-To-Back Titles”
- Odyssey Yearbook: Eva Tracy, Sports Feature/Reaction Photo, “Joy Jump.”
- Odyssey Yearbook: Courtney Ferro, Student Life/Organization Photo, “Homecoming Celebration.”
- Legacy: Emma Thom, Yearbook Writing “Learning to Adapt”
- Talon: Charlie Warner, Editorial/Op-Ed “Leave Gatekeeping At The Gate”
Orchestra State Solo/Ensemble Results
Student performances at the MSHSAA State Solo/Ensemble Music Festival
Marcus Castro – Cello Solo
Savaannah Collins – Violin Solo and String Duet
Ella Coon – Viola Solo, Cello Solo, and String Duet
Adara Ezekwe – Violin Solo
Breanne Garstang – Violin Solo
Antonino Libarnes – Cello Solo and Piano Solo
Anna Schneider – Viola Solo
Mia Ramirez – Violin Solo
Simon Whitty – Violin Solo
Savannah Collins – Viola Solo
Ella Coon – Piano Solo
Ella Frank – Viola Solo
Sophia Frederick – Viola Solo
Matthew Kim – Violin Solo
Chloe Monzon – Violin Solo
Maxwell Whitty – Viola Solo
Missouri Scholar 100 Program
RETURN TO SCHOOL DOCUMENTS
Prom and end-of-year are right around the corner, so there are two library deadlines coming up of which you should be aware.
1. THIS WEEK we are pulling an overdue items report that will add overdue or lost books to student accounts in My Payments Plus. These obligations will impact seniors’ ability to buy prom tickets and other things of that nature.
Please return any overdue materials to the library ASAP by placing them on the cart inside the front of the library. We will remove any fee as soon as the books are returned. Please email me, call, or stop by the library with any questions. Sometimes it takes a few days for the fees to be completely removed from the system.
2. MAY 11 is the date that ALL LIBRARY MATERIALS ARE DUE--unless you've arranged something with me or Mrs. Christal or Mrs. Taylor specifically and we've taken note of it. Please make sure that ALL library books are returned by the 11th. The report we run after those are checked in will impact diploma pickup and all of that.
Textbooks will be collected on your collection day, but you can turn them in early just like your library books. This just makes everyone's life easier if you're already finished with any of them. That said, don't stop doing your homework just to turn in a book!
We WILL have summer checkout for students in grades 9-11. ALL BOOKS CHECKED OUT AFTER MAY 11 WILL BE DUE IN THE FALL.
Again, please contact Mrs. Ferguson if you have questions or concerns!
Check out the resources from the counseling department!
Staley High School Counseling Website: https//sthscounseling.weebly.com
Be sure to bookmark the website and check often for updates!
Staley Counseling on Social Media:
Follow @sthscounseling on Twitter, "Like" us on Facebook, and follow us on Instagram. We regularly post information about college, careers, financial aid, upcoming deadlines and more!
NATIONAL LETTER OF INTENT SIGNING DAY - APRIL 14
If you are planning to attend the National Letter of Intent signing ceremony on Wednesday, April 14(it's a virtual learning day), please park and enter the building as shown below. Ceremony begins at 10:45 a.m.
If you are participating, please turn your form in to the activities office by noon Monday.
STALEY SUMMER CAMPS!
STALEY EMERALDS INFORMATION
DEAD WEEKS SET
Athletics Dead week will be June 26-July 4.
Activities Dead week will be May 29-June 6.
UPDATED SPORTS PROTOCOLS AND GUIDELINES
SPRING SPORTS ATHLETES - MAKE SURE TO UPLOAD YOUR PHYSICALS TO PRIVIT
STALEY MISSION STATEMENT
We commit ourselves to create and sustain an inclusive environment of learning that challenges and inspires each of us to SOAR.
OUR CORE VALUES
Service: We are committed to the greater good and actively seek opportunities to be of service. As we focus on serving others, we enhance our community and grow personally.
Ownership: We are committed to internalizing our vision, mission and core values by taking ownership in our school programs, community and facility. We are responsible and accountable for our choices.
Achievement: We are committed to maximizing every opportunity for personal and academic growth. We embrace a culture of authentic learning, which is evidenced by asking questions, collaborating, seeking solutions and fulfilling daily commitments.
Respect: We are committed to demonstrating behavior that is considerate of the community, the campus, others and ourselves. We respect the right to teach and learn at all times. Relationships based on open, honest and caring communication are essential to a culture of respect.
STALEY VISION STATEMENT
Staley High School is a community where individual and collective gifts are celebrated to foster personal and academic excellence.
Assistant Principal Mr. Jason Fowler
Assistant Principal Mr. Kevin Kooi
Principal Dr. Larry Smith
Assistant Principal Mr. James Wheeler
Assistant Principal Mrs. Jessica Hoffecker
IMPORTANT NUMBERS & SOCIAL MEDIA INFORMATION
Attendance: (816) 321-5332
Counseling: (816) 321-5335
Health Room: (816) 321-5333
Main Office: (816) 321-5330
Fax: (816) 321-5331
2800 NE Shoal Creek Pkwy
Kansas City, MO 64156
STALEY HIGH SCHOOL SENIOR PROM
Prom is Happening!
Paradise Productions KC will DJ!
Seniors + Guest
Saturday, May 1st... 8-11pm
Location: Staley HS