New Jersey v. T.L.O.
When is this case taking place? 1985
- Spread of AIDs increases.
- The first version of Windows is released and the first ".com" is registered.
- TWA Flight 847 hijacking takes place.
- Nintendo Entertainment System is released.
- CDs are introduced to consumers.
- Back to the Future and The Breakfast Club premiers in theaters.
- Do students have the same 4th amendment protection as adults?
- Was the principal searching the girls purse a "probable cause"?
- Would treating students differently than adults violate the 14th amendment?
4th amendment: "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."
14th amendment: "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."
Go to 5:14 on below video.
Legal Information Institute. (2016). New Jersey v. T.L.O. Retrieved from https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/469/325
Legal Information Institute. (2016). 4th Amendment. Retrieved from https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/amendmentiv
Legal Information Institute. (2016). 14th Amendment. Retrieved from https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/amendmentxiv
The People History (2016). What Happened in 1985 From the People History. Retrieved from http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/1985.html