Sunshine State Young Readers Award Program Wrapping Up
On April 6th, students in book club learned about the voting process when they chose the best candidate for the Sunshine State Young Readers Award. Officials from the Escambia County Supervisor of Elections Office created an authentic voting experience for the students by providing official ballots and a voting machine. Students in book club read from a list of 15 SSYRA books and chose their favorite book. Warrington students picked Insignia by S.J. Kincaid as the winner, but among the 10,000 votes from Florida, the overall winner was The Neptune Project by Polly Holyoke.
The 2017-2018 SSYRA list is out and the announcement video and annotated list are below. Ms. Ratliff is on the state committee that chooses the books for this list and is eager to have students start reading these books in August. As book club wraps up, Lani, a 7th grader, and Alexis, an 8th grader, are preparing to represent Warrington Middle at the upcoming Battle of the Books competition on May 13th. We wish them luck in this book trivia competition!
Innovation Center Highlights
Sixth-grade assistants, Mariah and Aiden, attempt the 1000-piece puzzle in the innovation center.
Jerrius learns how to use a voting machine when he votes for his favorite SSYRA book.
Mr. Lovely's music appreciation class researches music history in the innovation center.
What's Coming Up?
- April 21st- Last day to check out books from the innovation center.
- May 10th- Final Read to Me event with the dogs for this school year. Tentatively planned for 3rd period. Teachers, look for an upcoming email to sign up for time slots.
- May 10th- All library books are due for both students and teachers!
- May 11th- Innovation Center is CLOSED for the school year. Students may still return books to the cafeteria drop box or to the innovation center. Students may also pay any book fines.
- May 12th- Final Minecraft club meeting for the school year.
- May 13th- Battle of the Books Competition at Washington High School at 8:00 AM.
- May 15th- Final overdue book notices distributed during homeroom.
- May 17th- Final book club meeting for the school year.