Planes, Trains and Automobiles
During this week and next week our theme will be Transportation. We will focus on vehicles that move us from one place to another. The children will be encouraged to identify and sort where we use different vehicles, i.e. water, land, sky.
Excited to show parts of our classroom routine to our parents.
Up, Up and Away
What adventures will you have as you fly in an airplane?
Excited to see what each got in their box.
- Labeling letter J, j
- Identifying rhyming words
- Labeling numbers 1-10
- Understanding which number is bigger or smaller using numbers 1-5
- Giving 3-4 details about a story
- Interacting with peers
- Working together with peers in order to complete a task.
- Using scissors and cut along a line.
Having fun passing out valentines.
We will discuss how we got to school each day. Was it on the bus or in Daddy's car?
Marbles and Scissors
The children each got to cut out a heart and then used marbles to paint the heart.
- Use the attached materials in the e-mail to expand on skills learned at school.
- Label different vehicles you see as you drive to and from places. Have your child help you keep track of how many trucks and cars you see. Then discuss if there were more cars, trucks or motorcycles.
- Play Red Light, Green Light at home as a family. You can measure how far each person moved in the game. To measure you can use a measuring tape but you can also use pencils, cotton balls, shoes, etc. Compare the different amounts of the objects to help show how far each person moved or how much further they had to go to get to the front.
- Paint with your child's different vehicles. They will enjoy rolling them in the paint.
- Ask what if questions with your child. What if we tried to ride a boat to the library? What would happen? This is great for expanding language and thinking skills.
- Yearbook order forms are due by 3/1.
The HSE Special Education Administration would like to invite you to the 2013 - 2014 Special Education Parent Information Meeting. We will be hosting this event on March 5th, 2014. The event will be from 6 – 8pm at the FOCUS building. The FOCUS building is attached to the south side of the HSE Freshman Campus. The address is 12001 Olio Rd. Please enter through Door #21 - across from the tennis courts.
Click on the link below to read about the break-out sessions offered and sign up for two different sessions. If you have any questions about the sessions or sign-up, please contact Casey Allen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The sign-up window will be closed at 4pm on February 21st.
We look forward to seeing you on March 5th!
Tom Bell, Director of Special Education
Casey Allen, Assistant Director of Special Education
Dr. Barb Walters, Assistant Director of Special Education
- Our EC team is very excited to bring our first parent night of this school year… “Did I Just Reinforce That? The Ins and Outs of Using Reinforcement.” HSE’s Intervention Specialist, Laura Rinderknecht will help educate families on how the behavior that we pay attention to is the behavior that is repeated. We will learn to use reinforcement as a strategy to decrease problematic behaviors while increasing socially appropriate behaviors from our children. Come to learn the theory behind why these techniques
will work for you! Presented by:
Laura Rinderknecht (HSE Special Education
Where?: Brooks School Elementary
When?: Wednesday, February 19th
*Childcare will be provided by EC teachers and student helpers from 5:45-7:15 p.m. RSVP’s are required!*