Acids & Bases
- All acids have a sour taste.
- Acids are corrosive to metals. This means that when a metal is soaked in acid, it will break down and produce hydrogen gas.
- Chlorous acid (HClO2)
- Nitric acid (HNO3)
- Sulfuric acid (H2SO4)
- Bases are slippery and have a bitter taste.
- Most bases contain hydroxide.
- Sodium hydroxide (NaOH)
- Ammonia (NH3)
- Magnesium hydroxide (Mg(OH)2)
Acids have a pH of less than 7, while bases have a pH of greater than 7. If a substance has a pH of exactly 7, then it is neutral.