We Are Together Tamanend!
March 18, 2013
District Boomerang Recognition
Joe is pictured above with Ms. Barbara Gross, CB Cares Community Mobilizer, his parents, and Mrs. Leatherbarrow.
Tamanend’s Science Olympiad Team had a phenomenal day at the regional competition at Cabrini College. They competed against 34 other middle schools in events. Our team worked really hard to research and, in some cases, built their own equipment to compete. With one of the youngest teams competing, Tamanend was able to place in the top ten schools for two of the events. Rachel W. and Blair B. took 9th place overall for Crimebusters, a forensic science event. Vahan K. and Rachel W. took 7th place overall for their Astronomy event. Connor B. took 1st place for his Keep the Heat event where he designed an apparatus that was able to regulate temperature. Other members of the team that contributed to TMS' strong standing were Dan C., Emmitt N., Lilah B., Edward L., Shayna C., Josh R., Michael E., Mathew S., and Sameer M.. A special thanks to Mrs. Wilhelm, Mrs. Price, and Mrs. Brumbaugh for their leadership and support. Gooooooooooooooooooooooo Science!
CB Cares "Winning Hand" Poster Contest Winner
We had numerous, wonderful submissions to consider for this art contest. Honorable mention goes to Jacob O. and Alisa Y. Congratulations to everyone for their "winning hands."
Spread the Word to End the Word
The R-word is the word 'retard(ed)'. Why does it hurt? The R-word hurts because it is exclusive. It's offensive. It's derogatory. Our campaign asks people to pledge to stop saying the R-word as a starting point toward creating more accepting attitudes and communities for all people. Language affects attitudes and attitudes affect actions. Pledge today to use respectful, people-first language.
Tamanend Jazz Festival
Help Tamanend While You Shop or Recycle
If you use the following vendors, please think about supporting TMS while you shop and recycle:
- Use this link to connect to Amazon to shop and Tamanend can earn as much as 15% of what you purchase!
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card. Register your card and TMS will receive a percentage of your spendings.
- If you shop at Target and have a Target Red Card, you can register your card for Target'sTake Charge of Education program so that Tamanend receives a percentage of your spending.
- Clip and send in Box Tops to the attention of NJHS; or, shop at the Box Top Market Place where you will find vendors such as Best Buy, KMart, Justice and more.
- If you like to shop online, check out the eScrip Online Mall. When you sign up for an account, selecting Tamanend earns money for our school.
- When you recycle your paper using our Abitibi bin located at the back of our Main Parking Lot, you have not only helped the environment, you help TMS, too.
Got R o A R?
Sofia J. was nominated by Mr. Schmidt for her Achievement.
Luke L. was nominated by Mrs. Szagola for his Responsibility.
Ms. Jardine nominated Scott B. for his Achievement.
CBSD Board Briefs
At the March 12, 2013 School Board Meeting, the Central Bucks School District School Board:
1. Heard the Holicong Select String Ensemble performance before the school board meeting.
2. Heard the Superintendent’s State of the District presentation and the I.U. Board Committee Report.
3. Approved School Board Minutes.
4. Approved the Aramark Contract extension and the Water Tank Hydrostatic Coating Contract for Gayman Elementary School.
5. Approved School Board Policy 806 – Child Student Abuse.
6. Approved various personnel items, student trips, and staff workshops.
7. Received a Sabbatical Leave of Absence and the Board Calendar as information items.
Highlighted in a Previous Tamanend Connections:
- Warrington Township Police Department has asked that we remind everyone of the school speed limit of 15 mph during our arrival and dismissal times: 6:55-7:40 a.m. and 2:15-3:00 p.m..
- Freshman Dance Planning Meeting: ALL TMS parents are encouraged to come out and participate in this Tamanend Tradition. We will magically turn our school entrance, cafeteria, and gym into a themed ballroom for a Freshman Dance that our 9th Graders will never forget... well, it isn't really magic that does it. It is the dedication of our TMS parents! 7th, 8th and 9th grade parents are needed. Please plan to attend on April 18th at 7 p.m.
- Staff Appreciation Luncheon: We appreciate Mrs. Christine Pataki for coordinating the TMS Staff Appreciation Luncheon this year which will be on May 7th. To volunteer, please email Mrs. Pataki at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Relay for Life: 8th and 9th graders across the district are encouraged to participate in the CBSD Relay for Life hosted at Tohickon Middle School on May 18. Please mark your calendar and stay tuned for more information.
- 2013-2014 CBSD Calendar
- Tamanend is helping to Save Kids Castle! Click here to donate your time, talent or money. To learn more about this worthwhile community service project, you can follow it on Twitter @SaveKidsCastle.
- We need parents, students and staff for our Wellness Committee. If you are interested in helping with a fitness program after school, starting a vegetable garden in our courtyard, or have some other ideas to help our students and staff "go green" and stay fit, please contact Mrs. Mary McDonald, Mrs. Lauren Myrtetus and Ms. Brenda Scheffey about becoming involved in our Wellness Committee.
- Students currently taking an Algebra course will take the PA Keystone Exam in Algebra this year, unless they took the Algebra Keystone two years ago and were proficient. The following is a link with more information about the PA Keystone Exams: http://www.cbsd.org/curriculum/assessment/Pages/PA-Keystone-Exams.aspx.
- If you have a Twitter account, now you can get "Tiger Tweets" by following us @CBTamanendMS where we will proudly share good news and accomplishments of our students and staff.
Please read and share with others our "TMS Points of Pride."
Please volunteer to help make this year at TMS great!
Click here to register to receive CBSD text alerts.