Major Depressive Disorder
By: Ellie Madigan
What is depression?
The Body Systems Affected
How It Affects The Body
- you feel sad consistently for at least 2 weeks at a time
-you have thoughts of suicide and self harm
- but unlike somebody who doesn't have depression you can't just expect yourself to get over it and you can't make yourself get over it
You Don't Have Depression
- you feel sad from time to time but it isn't consistent and it eventually goes away pretty quickly sometimes to
- you can expect yourself to get over it and make yourself get over it
Who Does It Affect?
How Does Depression Start?
Signs and Symptoms
- different sleeping and eating habits
- loss of initiative, self-punishment
- withdrawal and inactivity
- thoughts of suicide
- loss of pleasure in things you use to find pleasure in
- irritability and angry out bursts even over the smallest matter
- slow thinking, speaking, and body movements
- unexplained physical problems
- fixating on the past and blaming oneself for something that wasn't their fault
- anxiety or restlessness
- trouble thinking or concentrating
- physical activity and exercise
- psychotherapy: cognitive-behavioral therapy and interpersonal therapy
- ECT: Electroconvulsive Therapy (this is affective for those who did not respond to drug therapy)
- Trans-Cranial Magnetic Stimulation
BuzzFeedYellow. "What It's Like Living With Depression." YouTube. BuzzFeedYellow, 23 Feb. 2015. Web. 22 Jan. 2016.
"Depression." Funk & Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia (2015): 1p. 1. Funk & Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia. Web. 13 Jan. 2016.
"Depression and Mental Health by the Numbers: Facts, Statistics, and You." Healthline. Web. 26 Jan. 2016.
Depression." The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com. Web. 26 Jan. 2016.
Holmes, Lindsay. "11 Statistics That Will Change The Way You Think About
DramaticDave. "Dear Mom, Dear Dad - Depression Short Film." YouTube. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Jan. 2016.
"Depression (major Depressive Disorder)." Depression (major Depression). Web. 29 Jan. 2016.
Larkin, Marilynn. "In Troubled Times." Vegetarian Times 316 (2003): 69. MasterFILE Premier. Web. 29 Jan. 2016.
What Is Depression? Perf. Helen M. Farrell. Youtube. Ted Talks, n.d. Web. 21 Dec. 2015.
"27 Celebrities On Dealing With Depression And Bipolar Disorder." BuzzFeed. Web. 27 Jan. 2016.