Moving On to Middle School
A Resource for Parents and Families
Meet the Staff of Bird Middle School
Important Dates for You and Your Rising Middle School Student
May 27 - Grade 5 students visit BMS. Grade 5 Parent's night at BMS at 7 pm.
August - Sneak Peak at BMS
Middle School Transition Lessons at Elm Street and Fisher
In May, Sarah Twomey, the middle school counselor, will be joining the elementary school counselors to teach transition lessons at Elm Street and Fisher Schools. These lessons will focus on:
- Who can help in middle school
- Understanding schedules
- Organizational skills
- Learning style and study skills
- Addressing students' questions
Once at the middle school, you and your student will be introduced to various useful technologies. These include:
- X2 - This is a student and parent portal by which both can access schedules, grades, and missing homework assignments. Students and parents will be assigned separate usernames and passwords. You will learn more about this at the Grade 5 Parent Night.
- Google Drive - Students in grade five are already familiar with using Google Drive. Next year they will increase their proficiency, as most assignments will be submitted through the Google Drive. Students will also be able to use their Gmail account to communicate with teachers.