BACK to SCHOOL 2019!
Gettys Middle School - Easley, SC
Let's "Make Gettys Great" Again in 2019-20!
Welcome to Gettys Middle School!
School begins on Tuesday, August 20 and student homeroom school announcements are from 8:05-8:10. The students' academic day is from 8:10-3:15 pm. Please allow more time for transportation during the first two weeks while students, families and buses learn their new routines.
Gettys Middle is a 1:1 device school with all students receiving Chromebooks! To receive a device on August 26 or 28, you must pay online at MySchoolBucks by August 23! This $15 is for insurance on your device. Parents must complete two items prior to their child receiving a device: the Tech It Home Agreement in the Registration Gateway as well as paying the required $15 device insurance fee. The two links below will allow you to easily complete both of these items online!
MySchoolBucks Online Payments
New for 2019-20!
New Courses to Prepare Students with World Class Skills:
- Fundamentals of Computing Part 1: This is an introductory course of computer science that is offered as high school credit and satisfies half of the new computer science high school graduation requirement for a high school diploma. Most students will take Fundamentals of Computing Part 2 when they are a student at Easley High School.
- Online Courses in Coding, Careers and World Languages: These courses introduce a student to career skills through our Odysseyware online software. Students will need their Chromebook devices and headphones/earbuds for these classes.
- Foreign Language of Spanish I: This online course is for high school credit and will have a live teacher online to interact with and learn from. This course is offered through Elevate K-12 Programs and is a new initiative to bring foreign languages to our students.
- Project Lead the Way's Flight and Space: This STEM class will be added for an option in 6th grade. Explore the exciting world of aerospace and connections to industries such as Boeing in South Carolina, NASA and our Pickens County Career and Technology Center programs in aersopace.
New Facility Upgrades:
- Nurse's Office Entrance: Families visiting our nurse's office for their children will now enter the nurse's office directly through the main lobby.
- New Bathrooms at Brice Field at Larry Bagwell Stadium: The district upgraded the stadium facilities to include a scoreboard, improved restroom facilities, a press box, and other upgrades. Soccer goals were also added for student use during PE or EHS soccer games in 2020 while partnerships with Easley Recreation or Easley Soccer Club will also be able to utilize this resource.
- Flex and MakerSpace Room: New furniture was installed for a new flexible seating and makerspace area for innovation and collaboration. All furniture can easily be moved to facilitate student learning and collaboration. Project based learning will increase as well as student and staff innovation. This area also has iMac computers, a green screen area for video production and other projects with more technologies to come.
- Student Game Room: As part of our emphasis on Gettys Greatness, one new addition to recognize student accomplishments will be our new game room that features Xboxes, Nintendo Switches and games such as Madden Football, World Cup Soccer, NBA Basketball and Let's Dance.
- New Gym Bleachers: New gym bleachers will begin to be installed August 19 and should take two weeks to complete. Gym classes will meet in the auditorium during this time and our morning and afternoon holding area will be changed from the gym to the auditorium as these new bleachers are installed in our gym.
- Basketball Courts Area (to come this Fall): We await contractors to install our six basketball rim courts in the recess grass area by our car line and bus loop. This will continue our focus on student wellness, student engagement and motivation.
Update Family Information To Receive School Information
The majority of our families have completed the summer online registration and family update. All parents/guardians are asked to update information online prior to registration through the Back-to-School Gateway. However, some families still need to complete this before school starts and receiving a student schedule.
Access the Gateway at https://update.pickens.k12.sc.us and use the information provided on your student's final report card to log in. This information was also emailed out by SDPC In July. The username is your child’s student ID number which is listed on every report card or progress report. The password for this process will be your student's date of birth in the following format: mm/dd/yyyy. If you have any questions, please call the GMS main office at (864) 397-3900.
GETTYS CALENDAR OF EVENTS
- August 23: Deadline to pay Tech Fee $15 online to receive device August 26-28
- August 26: 8th grade Chromebook distribution in order that they were paid
- August 28: 7th and 6th grade Chromebook distribution in order that they were paid
- August 29: Olweus Bullying Prevention Kick-Off Program
- August 29: Early Release at 12:15 for SDPC middle schools with lunches served
- August 30: Tech Payments $15 cash option through homerooms begins to receive device approximately September 12-13.
- September 2: No School for Labor Day Holiday
- September 3: Volleyball (H) vs Pickens GMS gym at 5:30 pm
- Sept. 3-4: Students View Safety Procedures in Cluster
- September 4: 8th grade Football Jamboree at LHS 5 pm, 7th grade at LHS 6 pm
- September 4: Volleyball (A) at Powdersville at 5:30 pm