Acton Weekly Update 5/17/19
What’s New For Next Year
We have great news to share. Every classroom will receive a leveled library to use for the Guided Reading Table. The Kit comes with other literacy tools as well (lesson plans are not included). Even though you will not get these books until later in the summer, you can plan lessons now if you like. If you click on your grade level, you can click on each book provided and read each book online! When you click on the book title, you can find a description of the book, Lexile correlation, page count, and genre listed for each title.
Literacy Footprint Classroom Kits include:
Kdg ~ 6 each of 99 titles Levels A-E
1st Grade ~ 6 each of 125 titles Levels A-K
2nd Grade ~ 6 each of 89 titles Levels G-N
3rd Grade ~ 6 each of 58 titles Levels L-Q
4th Grade ~ 6 each of 48 titles Levels O-T
5th Grade ~ 6 each of 48 titles Levels R-Z
*5th Grade Titles Coming Soon.
Let me know if you have any questions.
K-2 Don't forget to give me all of your dibels materials.
3-5 Please give your Reading Wonders Teachers' Editions to Sarah Poole.
1. We will NOT be doing DIBELS next year. Please turn in ALL of your DIBELS resources, booklets, etc to Jen by next Thursday.
2. We will NOT be doing WACS next year.
3. We WILL be using the Jan Richardson Next Steps to Guided Reading Assessments (NSGR) as our BOY, MOY and EOY assessments.
4. A Brain Smart Start in each classroom every day (K-5).
5. Waterford can be used in Daily 5 time instead of extensions or first thing in the morning.
6. We are still using Fusion for science.
7. We are using the newspapers for Social Studies.
8. Reading Wonders books should be kept to use as resources with students. Grades3-5 TE's are to be turned in.
9. Guided Reading classroom libraries will be delivered over the summer (dates TBD)
10. One novel per year in grades 2-5:
- Q4 C2 window.
- The novels will be:
- 2nd- Who Was Walt Disney
- 3rd- Boxcar Children
- 4th- Mrs. Frisby
- 5th- The Cay
11. We will continue to do weekly reading logs! Please be planning how you will encourage (but no penalty) more students to read regularly at home.
Brain Smart Start
Lindsey had 1st grade testing that morning, so it is a little quicker (about 2 min.) than she usually does it. (Usually the Connect and Wish Well are a little longer)
However, it's a great reminder that there will be times when the schedule changes or time is short, but we can still give our kids a positive Brain Smart Start every morning.
Thanks Mrs. Elliott for allowing me to share your great work!
Thank you to Sarah and Hilary for the four weeks of ProAct training. Here are their slides that they covered.
- FIELD DAY!!!! Thanks Jayne for all your planning
- School Board Meeting
Field Day Rain date (not gonna happen)
Awards Day practice.
Brook at Principal's Meeting
- Awards Program 1st, 2nd 3rd
- Last Student Day!
- Awards Program K, 4th, 5th
- Teacher Work Day
- Brook at Read Write Training at Annex
- Lexi will be getting lunch info out very soon.
FTCSC Hedgehog Focus
The Hedgehog Concept is based on an ancient Greek parable that states, "The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big thing." ... Hedgehogs, however, simplify the world and focus on a single, overarching vision, which they then achieve.