Kids Alive Do The Five!
Created by Laurie Lawrence
Created in 1988
Why do children drown in backyard pools?
- Inadequate fencing or no fencing
- Lack of gate security
- Lack of effective water safety skills
- Inadequate supervision
- Lack of resuscitation skills
The Kids Alive pantomime is the biggest touring free show in Australia. Not only does the show visit metropolitan areas, but to date has visited 545 country towns, 44 remote communities and played to more than 225,000 students Australia wide.
FENCE THE POOL
- Always keep your pool fence well maintained
- The fence is only as good as it's weakest point
- Don't leave objects leaning against the fence - it could be used to help children
- Pool owners that do not comply with legislation can be issued with heavy fines
SHUT THE GATE
- Ensure your gate is self-closing.
- Regularly check your latch to make sure it isn't faulty.
- Never prop or leave gates open.
- Ensure doors leading out to pool or other water areas are locked.
LEARN TO SWIM
This summer to combat drowning, Laurie Lawrence will use the internet, to give five free water safety lessons to all parents across Australia.
Learning to swim has many benefits for our children. It''s great for their health and well being, it enhances their self esteem and importantly teaches them a respect for water.
It is essential that you supervise young children at all times whether they are near the pool or other bodies of water.
- All adults are responsible for supervision
- Supervising adults should not be drinking alcohol
- Floatation devices do not replace adult supervision
- Older siblings should not supervise other children
LEARN HOW TO RESUSITATE
Even the most caring and vigilant parent can be affected by a drowning or near drowning. The Queensland Injury Surveillance Unit estimates that for every 1 child that drowns, 14 are taken to emergency departments and 4 of those are admitted to hospital.
- Anyone can be affected by a drowning or near drowning experience
- Learn resuscitation
- Providing first aid increases the chance of recovery
KIDS ALIVE DO THE FIVE!
Kids Alive Do The Five.
The Creator of Kids Alive Do The Five.
1.Fence the pool 2. Shut the gate 3. Learn to swim 4.Supervise 5.Learn to resuscitate