How Google Drive and Web 2.0 Tools Can Change Your Practice
Google Apps for Education (GAFE)
Students can keep track of what is due on the assignment page and begin working with just a click. Teachers can quickly see who has and who hasn't completed the work, and provide direct, real-time feedback, and also deliver grades right in Classroom!
You can easily attach videos, links, and images for students to view/discuss and a the is a great application if you are considering "flipping" your classroom.
- Easy setup - teachers can add students directly or give students a code to join
- Saves time - simple paperless workflow allows you to create, review, and grade assignments quickly all in one place
- Improves Organization - students can see all of their assignments on an assignment page, and all class materials are automatically into folders
- Enhances Communication - allows teachers to send announcements and start class discussions instantly. Students can share resources with each other or provides answers to questions on the stream.
- Secure - contains no ads, never uses content or student data for advertising purposes
Ask me about how to share YouTube videos without the distraction (or potential danger) of advertisements!
Extensions are small programs that add new features to your browser and personalizes your browser experience. It enhances student learning and differientates instruction.
How to Add Extensions:
1.) Click on three bars in chrome, more tools, extensions, get more extensions or
Google “Chrome webstore”
Adblock/Adblock Plus: blocks all annoying ads; watch the ad increase -- (Stop hand symbol)
Google URL Shortener: shortens the url; 1 button click
ViewPure: (*website: watch youtube videos without ads; comments or other simple distractions are removed; purified)
Turn off the Lights (put the focus on the video and blacks out other things around it, click on light bulb)
Google Incognito: hides what you do online, traffic; allows 2 user signed in at the same time; when you close tab everything logs out
Readability: strip down articles and webpages to make them easier to read (click on comfy chair); take article and sends to a new link (changes url) with 1 picture and text only
Clearly: similar to Readability
Announcify: like clearly and readability-- takes further and reads to you and takes out things you don’t want to see (didn’t change URL)
Speakit: similar to Announcify: select text you want to read and it reads to you
Google Dictionary: double click on a word when reading and it tells the meaning; (click dictionary symbol)
Read and Write: word prediction; read text aloud; summarize articles; works with drive; picture dictionary; only free if your board has purchased
Extensity: tool to organize your extensions on chrome
Dream Afar: open a new tab and it takes you to new places around the world
Screencastify: create your own videos, helpful for the flipped classroom