Getting the Best
out of your Cash Register
Cash registers are an integral part of retail stores. The functions of cash registers are to keep an exact tab on the cash available at the counter at any point of time and verify it physically by counting. Yet another use for cash registers is monitoring sales. In fact you can use a cash register as a smart accountant. Some cash registers with appropriate software can even break up figures for different items, the quantity sold and sale proceeds received. It is a versatile machine.
An important physical component of cash register is the cash drawers. They are usually located at the lower part of the machine and have a lock attached to it. There are different types of cash drawers that you can buy in the market and some of the better known ones are –
· Posiflex POS Cash Drawer with Five Compartments
· TVS-E POS Cash Drawer with Four Compartments
· TVS-E POS Cash Drawer (Small)
You choice of drawer will depend on the estimated money that flows in during the day at the point of sale (POS).
Cash Registers are very delicate equipment, and if maintained well and used carefully they can give your retail store years of trouble-free service. Most cash registers these days are electronic and come with software embedded in them. Here is how to use and get the best of cash registers.
· Plugin the machine to the wall socket of the mains supply, and before you do it, check that the machine complies with voltage requirement. The machine must be properly grounded. It is important to place the machine in a comfortable position ideal for using in a standing position. As far as possible keep the machine away from high temperatures, direct sunlight, dust and humidity. They are all potentially damaging to the machine. Always install the machine as per instruction given in the machine’s operating manual.
· Different cash registers use different combination of keystrokes for operating the machine. You must familiarize yourself with the keystrokes for – switching on the machine, entering a bill, actual cash denomination received from the customer, balance returned, discounts allowed, special offer prices if applicable, redeeming coupons and rewards, daily deals, regular customer discounts, and other information. If your cash register has a POS slot for swiping credit or debit cards, you must also learn to use them effectively.
· The cash drawer is an important component of cash registers, because they hold the cash. It is wise to check the cash available in the drawer with the figures showing total collection for a given period. This will ensure seamless operation of the machine.
· It is important to learn how to print the various reports for the day. This an important function and includes details – pertaining to bill numbers, cash receipts, items sold and their value and customer details pertaining to credit and debit cards. Your operating manual is very important and you must read and get yourself familiarized with it.
Always keep your cash registers spic and span. Ensure that dust does not get into them. You should also learn to mount printing papers (usually they are packaged as rolls) and load the ink cartridge. To get the best out of cash registers, service the machine regularly.
Mr. Priyankar Baid the owner of the website www.smesauda.com, has all the latest technology which can make the work of a retailer easier, faster and efficient, they sell products such as IBM server and Billing Machine, which is a necessity these days.